(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: What do I need to do to raise a toilet 8-3/4"?

  1. #1
    frameless cabinet fabrication edanek's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Lake Orion, MI

    Default What do I need to do to raise a toilet 8-3/4"?

    I have a “sunken” utility room whose floor is 8 3/4 inches lower than the rest of the house, and want to raise it to the same level as the other floor. The utility room floor is a concrete slab that has a toilet (the drain pipe is embedded in concrete). How do I do this correctly? I may be able to cut the top of the drain pipe / flange out with a Dremel, but that probaly creates other problems. Any advise is appreciated.

  2. #2
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    New England


    What kind of pipe is it? Cast iron, abs, pvc? Depending on what it is, and the size of the pipe would determine the easiest way to resolve this. Once you have the old flange of, a no-hub connector, or maybe even just a glue-on coupler, a short riser, and the new flange would be all that is required. You'll probably have to chip out around the pipe for a bit to make room for either the coupler (if plastic) or access to tighten a no-hub connector onto the pipe (if CI). Keep in mind that the new flange should be installed on TOP of the finished floor, so however you are raising the floor, leave room around the pipe (if it is 3") for the new flange to slide over the pipe which you can leave long until the finished floor is in. If it is a 4" pipe, you have the option of either an inside mount or outside mount (preferred). Make sure the riser is plumb, or installing the flange and having it level will be impossible.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

  3. #3
    Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Bothell, Washington
    Blog Entries


    I would break out the concrete and extend the pipe from there.
    There isn't really a good way to extend past a closet flange.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts