Using just a screwdriver to change out a 100 amp main panel to a new 200 amp panel

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I have had two quotes for a heavy up and the best came in from a local firm - less than when I got the same job quoted two years ago by a big firm.

I have asked them especially to get a new Square D panel for me, because I like my old Square D panel (it's just so easy to get new breakers).

Is this a good choice of brand or have I made a mistake asking them for this?

Last edited:

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score
Square D is good equipment. I suggest that you specify the "QO" line rather than accept the "Homeline" equipment. While the Homeline is certainly acceptable the QO is a bit better in my opinion and worth the slight increase in price.

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
My main 200a is a Square D QO, 100a sub is a homeline (free from someone)
Subs in pool cabana & addition are Square D QO
Having the same makes it easier swapping breakers between them if needed

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You have more options with the Homeline, because it can use the "interchangeable" breakers. But, QO have a better reputation, although they cost more.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Well they put a 200 amp QO in and it is now very nice.

Hopefully I'll get some time to fix a few of the quibbles I have found with it before it gets inspected.

The eletrician used a few metal staples to hold the wire and I don't like those so they'll have to be pulled and replaced with something a little easier on the cable. And a few of the cable clamps have not been tightened down into the panel enough, so I'll need to fix those.

Sigh. DIY is really the only way to get a job done right.

Norcal01

Reaction score
You have more options with the Homeline, because it can use the "interchangeable" breakers. But, QO have a better reputation, although they cost more.

Just because a breaker "fits" does not mean it's OK to use it. A competitive make circuit breaker must be UL "classified" to be used in a specific panel.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote;Sigh. DIY is really the only way to get a job done right.

At least according to your definition of "right". Millions of miles of wires have been installed with metal stapels and they have NOT be "hard" on the wires. If the cable clamps are not tight why do YOU have to tighten them, unless it is not a safety factor, which they are usually not since they are not part of the grounding circuit. I doubt that ANY technician would do any job to your satisfaction.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I doubt that ANY technician would do any job to your satisfaction.

Correct and especially when they do not use common sense, which many of them only seem to use in their own homes.

I had my electrical inspection today for my service upgrade and was shocked at how nasty inspectors are. I always knew how nasty they could be to DIYers but, falsely, believed they would be more polite to licensed professionals.

My electrican had left my permit in his office - a 5 minute drive. Inspector turned up, OK'd the work but - laughing - refused to sign off on it because the permit was not there and - laughing - refused to wait.

I kept him going with small-talk and just as he got in the car, the electrician arrived. The inspector really laid into him but the work was eventually signed off on.

But again, I'd rather trust a DIYer.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks