Cast to PVC to Cast to PVC

Users who are viewing this thread

TheZster

Reaction score
Back again.... 100 year old house - adding a new bathroom in the old attic... the DWV layout is good....

Question is: I had to remove the old cast iron soil stack from the basement (busted out concrete) and "Fernco'd" PVC to the existing Cast iron lateral line to the first floor. As is typical in these homes - the first floor bathroom had a 6 inch concrete floor poured in it - with a Cast iron toilet flange encased in concrete. So - without removing the old flange/floor (and messing up a beautiful tile job) - I had to run PVC from the lateral line to the first floor drain system - cut the cast iron above the first floor and - again - Fernco'd PVC up to the roof... someone told me that having PVC/Cast/PVC wouldn't pass inspection.... Thoughts?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Normally, they only want a SINGLE transition from one material to another, but they also will not approve Fernco couplings if you used the ones usually referred to as "Fernco". What did installing the new upstairs bath have to do with changing the cast iron?

TheZster

Reaction score
This old house was a "project" for someone before I bought it... and already had the double transition . As the cleanout at the basement floor level was in pretty bad shape - I went ahead and removed/replaced it. Couplings are actually Proflex shielded couplings - I use fernco as a generic term... sorry..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks