Flood damage

Users who are viewing this thread

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
For any who live or work or will be contracting in LA, AL, MS a big issue will be appliances and the electrical system.

NEMA ( National Electrical Appiance Manufacurers Association) and GAMA ( Gas Appliance Manufacturers Association) have both issued papers recommending how to deal with flood damage.

In a nutshell, for gas appliances (WH, range, furnaces) GAMA and most manufacturers themselves say any gas appliance which has been submerged MUST BE DISPOSED of. It should not be repaired. It will not be safe or reliable.

NEMA has the same basic recommendation. In the case of large commercial equipment ( switchboards, very large breakers, etc) they say that manufacturers can provide specific procedures for overhaul, including replacement of key corroded components, etc. For residential appliances, including the breaker panels and breakers, stoves, WH, etc. they say it should all be replaced.

This will be a huge problem in the affected area, because charlatans and unknowing DIY homeowners will be looking to cut corners and save a buck.
I am glad that I am not down there having to duke it out with insurance companies who will also be trying to minimize costs.

For the next year, be very wary of any secondary market on appliances, water heaters, or automobiles. There are crooks out there who will be grabbing this stuff by the ton from the salvage operators down there, They will "hose them down", pretty them up a little, wash the title, and put them on the market.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
good message

move the whole place to lost wages in the desert

our tax money will build the same old honkey tonks, in the same swale

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
rebuilding

And how is that different than rebuilding on the side of a mountain after a mudslide, or in the middle of a forest after a fire, to name a couple of similarities?

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
Anybody going down to volunteer some plumbing ?? Been thinking about taking a month and going to the area (somewhere). Problem is,,,i've had friends go to Fla. after "Andrew" saw them a week later and then said," You CANNOT leave your truck. The people will steal you blind and sell your stuff to the next guy." They slept in their van for 4-5 days then just came home.
I am not going for that.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
10 feet below sea level...and riseing

10 + feet below sea level with the water levels
probably riseing all over the planet from now on........

that aint rebuilding its re-sinking....
the whole delta has been shrinking over the years.

but something has got to be done
only because the city is a vital shipping port...

its really only a mater of time before it does it again
wether it be next year , or 50 years thats in gods hands.

The people in Washington are weighing their options.
for the best way to get out of this mess.

Last edited:

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
how is this different!

#1 look at the price tag for us tax payers

#2 it,s set 12 ft lower next to the countrys largest river and a 300 sq. mile lake.

#3the people you are trying to help are shooting at you!

if this was your next door neighbor, would you write a check for them?

mrjetskey

Reaction score
Just because some of the people from NO.were acting horrible doesnt make the whole population bad.But it does hurt everyone who was affected ,who wants to help someone who is cursing our country and shooting at relief workers?

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Don't hold your breath, another one is coming

I guess we will all know what devastation is when next monday rolls around. They say that this newest hurricane will make landfall saturday in the morning hours. Texas, Mexico, or Louisiana again are the likely candidates of the approaching hurricane. I really hope people take this one seriously.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks