Is there a plumbing equivalent to Richter's "Practical Electrical Wiring" book?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
Is there a plumbing equivalent to Richter's "Practical Electrical Wiring" book? The selection of plumbing books in the local big box stores in my area is limited - the Sunset and Black & Decker varieties that describe how to replace a washer, etc. is all I have to choose from. I'm not considering a career as a plumber, but I would like to ensure my DIY plumbing adventures are safe and to code.

Thanks,
Tony

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I am not sure what you are trying to "learn" about. An electrical book may just have to show you what to do at either end of a wire, while a plumbing book would have to show how to start and end a pipe, how to do it, but ALSO what has to happen between the two ends, and there are innumberable ways those requirements could be accomplished. If you are just interested in repairs, that can also be daunting if you intend to be comprehensive, because there are almost as many ways to disassemble a faucet or drain, as there are faucets.

Asktom

Reaction score
Codes vary depending on your location so there is no one book. If the codes in your area are based on the UPC (generally western states) then I would recommend UNIFORM PLUMBING CODE ILLUSTRATED TRAINING MANUAL from the International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials. It ain't cheap and covers stuff you will never do, but it is clear. Even if your local code is based on the UPC, there may be variations in your specific location (or specific inspector), but if you follow what is shown your work will be safe and will work. If you are not under the UPC perhaps someone else can make a suggestion appropriate to your area.

DavidTu

Reaction score

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Peter Hemp's Plumbing a House in the For Pros by Pros series http://www.amazon.com/Plumbing-House-Pros-Peter-Hemp/dp/1561583332 is pretty good. I also have two Rex Cauldwell books in the same series: Remodel Plumbing http://www.amazon.com/Pros-Remodel-...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273097521&sr=1-2 and Plumbing http://www.amazon.com/Plumbing-Pros...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273097521&sr=1-1

I'd recommend all of them, I like Hemp's the best.

I don't share your enthusiasm for books by Rex Cauldwell....
Click Here and See Why

DavidTu

Reaction score
In case anyone is still interested... I posted a reply to the thread referenced above by Redwood as I re-read the relevant section in Cauldwell's book and found he explained some of the items taken issue with therein (this refers to the plumbing book / article... not the electrical book in the original post). I don't know if that will change any opinions on Cauldwell... but I figured fair is fair.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks