Water Leak--Am I on the right track?

Users who are viewing this thread

Wondering

Reaction score
I have a 3/4 hp sub. pump with two tanks, 62 & 20 gallon furnishing two homes. Lately I have noticed the pump running ever so often, maybe ever 15 to 20 minutes. I turned the water off where it leaves the pump house and it still leaks down. I figure I either have a hole in the line in the well or could it be a check valve leaking, or is there something else that would cause this? The line in the well is the black plastic 160psi but it has been there for probably 25 years. I appreciate any advice you can give me.

Wondering

Reaction score
Got this leak fixed. The line had a split where it connected to the pump. Now I have a question:

I have always used a 40/60 and even at one time a 40/70 pressure setting. When the leak was getting bad I had changed it to 30/50 thinking it might not leak down as fast ,using it this way until I could get the guy out to check it. Now I wouldn't mind turning it back up, so that is my question, Do you think if I set it up again it might split my line again? I have had this line connected to this pump for 11 years and this is the first trouble I have ever had. The line is about 25 years old though because it was used with another pump. The guy that fixed it said it was just from the pump starts/stops and the line twisting that causes them to split. He also replaced the check valve while he had it out of the well. Appreciate any advice/thoughts you have on changing my pressure setting.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
He didn't say but, I figure that old it is probably only 100# poly. So I thought that was pretty good for 25 years of cycling on and off. Cause I really don't think an extra 10 PSI is as hard on the pipe as when that check valve slams shut for every cycle.

Wondering

Reaction score
It is 160 psi pipe. The first years(15) it was used on a 2 line jet pump. When I had to replace the pump, the guy installing the new submersible pump said he was going to use my existing pipe because "it was better than what he had". I figured what he had on the truck wasn't 160 psi so I said that would be fine. When he pulled the pump the other day to fix the leak, he ask then if I wanted to replace the whole line, that he had 160 psi pipe on the truck. He said since the split was right at the pump, if it were his he would just cut that off and continue using the current pipe so that is what I did. It may split again in no time or it could last several more years(I hope). It has been on the submersible for 11 years this March. I may set it back to 40/60. There are 2 houses--sometimes 3--on my well. When the 3rd house has pump trouble they can switch over and use my water, plus there are 25-30 cows that drink from my well. I have read here that nowdays pumps may only last an avg. 7 years so since mine is 11 years old it seems to be holding up well. I just hope it continues to.

Thanks for your input. Any ideas how to get many years out of a pump or is that just a wait and see thing?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks