Please identify the valve

Users who are viewing this thread

simdim

Reaction score
Folks,
I have this leaky valve on the whirlpool tub, however I can not identify who made it and what is the method of removing the decorative ring (is it just pressed on or I need to unscrew it?).

tub-valve..jpg
Cheers,

Simon

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It probably unscrews, but it looks like you have enough of the locknut exposed so that you can remove it and the stem without removing the flange. The handle and stem look like Valley, but since they were an imitation of Delta, the two are outwardly similar. Internally, however they are "opposites", (although you can interchange them), and if you use the wrong stem, your lever handle will work backwards. Your lever handle will either point the wrong way when closed, or it will rotate in the opposite direction when you turn it on.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I agree it looks very much like the Valley Colorburst collection, widespread lav. It comes apart as hj describes.

My parts list is showing that there is a different cartridge depending on date of manufacture....before or after 5/26/92. Now, the AVAILABILITY of parts for old Valleys is a whole different proposition, but some of it is still around. My parts book dates from '94. At that time Valley was a subsidiary of US Brass, and as Rambo said..."they're all gone"!!!

Last edited:

simdim

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the replies. I guess the only way to say for sure is to pull the cartridge... Since I could not put a socket on the lock nut - the flange is too high, is there a special tool to unscrew the flange without stripping chrome?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There appears to be more than enough of the locknut projecting above the flange to grab it with a pair of pliers and unscrew it. It is NOT very tight because all it does is keep the stem in place, it is NOT keeping anything from leaking.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks