Water Leaking at Turn on Valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

firsttimehomeowner

Reaction score
I purchased my home in the fall and the sprinkling system was already winterized, at least I was told that. I recently went to turn on the sprinkler systerm for the first time. I turned it on a little and the pipe going down into the ground that the key goes into to turn the valve, started filling up with water until it came up and over the pipe. I turned it off. I tried again after the water receeded and this time I turned it on and opened it up more. This started some of the sprinklers going and this time the water stayed at the same level in the pipe. I turned off the line going to the sprinkler system and the pipe did not fill up this time.

Do I have a busted line down by the turnon valve?
My understanding is that there shouldn't be any water leaking when that is turned on.

Second, if the line is busted, what is the best way to go about fixing it, since it is about 4-5 feet down?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Of course a broken pipe is possible, but I suspect you have an Apollo shut off valve like mine. If so, it takes 1/4 turn to open/close the valve. That's simple enough, but there is no stop on the valve so you can pass the stop point. What will happen then is the drain feature called, "Stop and Waste" will begin to let water out. If you turn the valve clear off, the pipe above the valve will just drain and that's the end of it. But if you get in between off and on, the water will still enter the system and the stop and waste will try to drain. I hate this damn valve, but it's 5' underground and it darn near kill me digging that pit when I repaired a broken pipe and replaced that valve about 5 years ago and I'm just living with it. Next time, if there is one, I'll spend the extra buck and get a Muller valve that has stops.

Fireguy97

Irrigation Contractor
Reaction score
Do I have a busted line down by the turnon valve?
My understanding is that there shouldn't be any water leaking when that is turned on.

Second, if the line is busted, what is the best way to go about fixing it, since it is about 4-5 feet down?
It sounds like a broken pipe or broken fitting to me.

You're right. There shouldn't be any water coming to the surface when you turn it on.

Only one way to fix it. Dig. You will have to dig down and around enough to get down to fix it. Make sure that the hole is big enough to shore it up. You and your family don't want you to be on your hands and knees down in the hole fixing the pipe when the earth decides to cave in.

Mick

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks