Shower has hot but no cold water.

Users who are viewing this thread

firsttimehomeowner

Reaction score
My shower will get hot water fine, but if I turn the hot water line off it only trickles cold water.
I have read other posts and I take it I need to replace the catridge in my valve.
I have a Moen Positemp Valve.
I have gotten access to the valve and removed the retainer clip, but I can't figure out how to get the catridge out. Any ideas for removing this? Do I just grab on with pliers and pull or is there a special tool needed?

Also, can the replacement part be bought at home depot?

Attachments

• valve2_b..JPG
    valve2_b..JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 2,006

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Assuming that is a pressure balanced valve (I think it is), if either the hot or cold water supply is shut off, the pressure balance spool valve will stop flow of all water (or at least most). SO, it sounds like it is doing what it is supposed to. It requires essentially equal pressure on the supply lines to allow your selected water temperature to pass through...shut one side off, the pressure balance spool valve slams shut the other side, stopping flow. The idea is you won't get scalded if the pressure drops in the supply (like when someone flushes a toilet, for example). This is not to be confused with adjusting the water temperature when both supplies are full on.

Moen will send you a replacement cartridge for free if you call them, so there's no need to buy one. You really want a 'real' one verses a knockoff made by some generic company. Some of them can be a real bear to remove...just do a search on remove moen cartridge, and you'll get loads of advice on how to do it.

If both supplies are on, and you can't adjust the temp to get any cold in, then the spool valve may be stuck at one end. I think this is separate from the temperature control valve, and replacing the cartridge won't solve your problem.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Call Moen at 1-800-BUYMOEN and they will send you the replacement cartridge. There is a special tool, but all you should need is a pair of pliers to grab the crossbar and pull while twisting it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks