sealing gas pipe threads ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Fabricator

Reaction score
hello. sorry for such a newbe question. but i have never messed with gas pipes. my hwh started leaking. so i am about to replace it. it is natural gas. is plumbers putty good for the threads ? if not, what ?

if there is anything you would like to add to a first time 40gl gas hwh swapper ?!

thanx

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
One word of advice, "Do not depend on the original installation to meet current installation requirements". You cannot always put the new one in just like the old one was, and if you think plumber's putty is a proper thread sealant for ANYTHING, especially gas, then you have NOT done much piping.

Fabricator

Reaction score
One word of advice, "Do not depend on the original installation to meet current installation requirements". You cannot always put the new one in just like the old one was, and if you think plumber's putty is a proper thread sealant for ANYTHING, especially gas, then you have NOT done much piping.

yeah. i can't count the # of code violations i have had to repair from the builder. i think the code officer was in the pockets of the builder.

ok, then what should i use ? i forgot to get a pan when i baught the richmond hwh yesterday. so i have to go to HD anyway.

thanx

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Back to the question>>> plumbers putty is never used on threads of any kind. PIPE DOPE, also called pipe thread paste, is what to use. Great White, Megaloc, Rectorseal Tplus2, are some good ones.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Don't forget to use a soapy water solution on the gas pipes when you turn the gas back on, we want zero leaks

Fabricator

Reaction score
thanx guys.

WH is in. i put a pan/drain in.

i flushed the living poop out of it. i would say at least 100 gallons.
i used Tplus2.
i soaped up the joints. no leaks.
and new dielectric fittings and a new shut off valve.

idk what kind of sealer the builder used. but it sure looked like plumbers puddy.

i have another question. on the in/out fittings of the WH. there is a blue plastic gasket (for lack of a better term). what is that for ?

thanx

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If you are talking about the nipples that often come pre-attached to the water heater, the blue is a plastic dielectric lining to prevent corrosion of the outlet fitting.

Fabricator

Reaction score
yes, the pre-attatched nipples. i looked down in these nipples. there looked to be some kind of valveage down there about 2"s. what is that for ?

thanx guys :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks