Installing new tub - is there an easy way to extend PVC drain pipe 1/2"

Users who are viewing this thread

old_man

Reaction score
I'm putting in a new tub and I need to extend the length of the PVC drain pipe shown in photo by 1/2 inch in order for trap to line up properly with overflow tube.
Is there a clean way to do this without cutting open plywood farther back and replacing a larger section?
Thanks

Attachments

• Copy of 100_4207_r.jpg
    Copy of 100_4207_r.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 2,240
Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
To extend the pipe, you will need to add a coupling.
Since you need only 3/4" more, you will have to cut the existing pipe back a bit, add the coupling and a piece of pipe.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I do not know what kind of tub you are installing, or what kind of drain, but normally the "P" trap is AT THE WALL, (under the tub's overflow pipe), not under the tub's outlet, meaning you might have to EXTEND the drain, not cut it off.

old_man

Reaction score
To extend the pipe, you will need to add a coupling.
Since you need only 3/4" more, you will have to cut the existing pipe back a bit, add the coupling and a piece of pipe.

Terry,
I have 2" of pipe to work with. Coupling is 2 1/2" long. I would have very short nipples, the trap elbow would be almost kissing the coupling (see hand sketch). Is this ok or does some nipple need to be visible for inspection?
What I would really like is a male/female coupling (0 degree street) but have seen it.

I have also included photo of existing pipe with trap inserted. Trap is ~1/2 inch too far from wall to meet overflow.

Dave

old_man

Reaction score
Terry,
I have 2" of pipe to work with. Coupling is 2 1/2" long. I would have very short nipples, the trap elbow would be almost kissing the coupling (see hand sketch). Is this ok or does some nipple need to be visible for inspection?
What I would really like is a male/female coupling (0 degree street) but have seen it.

I have also included photo of existing pipe with trap inserted. Trap is ~1/2 inch too far from wall to meet overflow.

Dave
Here are photos

Attachments

• 100_4209_resize..jpg
    100_4209_resize..jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 1,553
  • 100_4212_resized..jpg
    100_4212_resized..jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 1,567

old_man

Reaction score
A DWV coupling, which is what you need, is NOT 2 1/2" long.

hj you're the man!

That is what I get for pulling dimensions from some website vs. walking into Ferguson's with a tape measure.

I think I am ok now, but do you know if there is any requirement for how much nipple, if any, needs to be visible between fittings for inspection?
Thanks again

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You want to see the pipe, how much isn't a big issue. Keep in mind that dry fitting will get you into trouble...it is nearly impossible to get the pipe bottomed into the fitting until you add the cement which liquifies the top layer and allows it to mush to the bottom of the fitting. Depending on the diameter of hte pipe and your fitting, you could have 1/2" or so after you think it is bottomed out dry verses 'wet' - you need to carefully measure.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks