Is this where I go to ask for a dishwasher?

Users who are viewing this thread

ekim

Reaction score
The wife wants a built in dishwasher but I dont want a piece of junk. I need to buy it from Home Depot because I'm broke. Should I wait and save my money? They only carry GE and whirlepool.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am a satisfied user of my second Bosch. They aren't cheap, but Lowe's carry them among other places. You can probably buy cheaper ones, but you get what you pay for.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
Used DW is for you, since you're broke.

Lots of modern Dishwashers are quiet these days. But HD is not your friend in this area, so don't buy a midrange DW from them. It might be old technology that gives them a good profit.

Post again when you find something that you like, and comments about it will come back.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Those should work fine for years.
The last home I installed a mother-in-law kitchen downstairs.
I put in the cheapest thing I could buy.
I put in a better unit upstairs.

You do get what you pay for.
But even the cheap one washed dishes.

Just remember to use a rinse agent.
That's how you get those spot free glasses.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
In my mind, GE and Whirlpool are the best buys. Stay away from the "lesser" brands at HD like Americana, Maytag, or Amana. Also stay away from LG.
That said, now what you get in terms of the price range from maybe $250 to $750 is more spray arms, may more powerful spray, some bells and whistles, and the biggy: QUIET.
An entry level dishwasher will perfomr ok and probably last for years. If that is what you can afford right now, go for it. Work with it....rinse the dishes quickly right after meals, before loading into the machine. Don't put dried on egg in there. In general, you will be fine.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Don't ever consider a "used" dishwasher. It was replaced for some reason, and NOT usually because someone just wanted a newer one. Door, and pump shaft, seal leaks can be expensive and frustrating to repair. The less you pay the fewer "bells and whistles" you will get, but since 95+% of users seldom use ANY of them you probably won't miss them. The average users routing goes like this;
1. open door
2. put dishes in machine.
3. close door.
4. press start button
5. remove clean dishes
6. close door prior to starting back at 1.
If you noticed there is nothing there about "choose proper cycle".

Last edited:

shadysprings

Reaction score
I got a Bosch DW 4 months ago and wish I didn't.
Pros- Looks nice, cleans well, quiet
Cons - The latch keeps closing when door is open. Not sure how. But once it does,the door won't close. It uses condensation drying which sucks. Our dishes are seldom dry. And there's a sanitized light that has never turned on once. I had Sears Service out here twice and they told me that it's normal to not turn on in some homes. I asked what that meant, and they said that it's random. What a crock of ......

My neighbor bought a Kenmore which seems to do everything perfectly.

Jacobsond

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.nielsenelectric.com
Look for a dishwasher that you can get service on.Home Depot doesn't service anything so if you have a problem you will have to find a servicer for the brand you buy.We sell GE Maytag and LG at our store.One brand has no more problems than another.LG dishwashers are the quietest but the hardest to work on.Maytag has been the easiest to work on.GE is the cheapest. If you would call our service dept and ask for service on a bosch we may not even take the call.The biggest difference you may find in dishwashers is noise.The cheaper the dishwasher the noisier it will be and the racks will rust out quicker.If there is an Appliance store around give them a try. Prices are usually competitive so they can stay in business and they likely have a service shop to take care of any problems.Why buy and appliance from a lumberyard what are they going to do for you if you have trouble?

Inspektor Ludwig

Journeyman/Inspector
Reaction score
I have a GE and I can't stand it. It's way too loud. I'm thinking of buying me one of them fancy German ones. I have heard some good things about LG.

Esquire

Plumber
Reaction score
I actually took a used one from a house one time and put it into my mothers house (who's bring just before). It was perfect timing because the lady bought it a year before but now decided to go all stainless appliances to match the new fridge so it was bye bye black dishwasher. I lucked out that day, well my mother lucked out I guess.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I have a GE and I can't stand it. It's way too loud. I'm thinking of buying me one of them fancy German ones. I have heard some good things about LG.

With any brand, quiet = $$$. GE makes some very quiet models, but not the $250 model. Look to spend $600 to $800. What good things did you hear about LG? That is a first!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I installed a high end Whirpool for my mother's home.
I didn't want to compete with the dishwasher when I wanted to talk.
When family is over, there may be 20-30 in the room talking all at once.

It took a long time for the installation, lots of seals around the frame of the unit to keep the thing silent.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks