Noisy water flow

Users who are viewing this thread

eqtynt13

Reaction score
Hi everyone, we have a problem that seems to be getting worse. It started with what I thought was water hammer when turning on the hot water. In doing some research this morning, I saw that water hammer is when you turn the water off, so I now know that is not the proper terminology. So I'll just say it started with a sound that sounded like a hammer and inconsistent, spurting flow. That is not happening as much anymore, but still does happen.

What is happening now is a high pitched squeal (like a ringing in your ears) every time we turn on the water (hot or cold), flush a toilet, run the washing machine, etc. We also have a ton of bubbles in the water. The sounds are more prominent the closer the devices are to the water heater it seems.

I am certainly not a plumbing expert, so any advice (as long as I don't have to pull out a welder! LOL) would be appreciated.

Thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
THere are so many possible causes, and most of them would not apply to your situation, that we cannot even attempt to diagnose it without being there to hear and analyze what is happening. DO you have a hose faucet which is turned on, but the hose nozzle is turned off?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Does this happen at every faucet in the house, or only one? A loose washer can cause some nasty sounds in the water flow. Is your house main shutoff fully opened? Is it a multi-turn valve or a ball valve? If it is a multi-turn valve, the gate may have broken off. See if you can shut it off. If it just turns and nothing happens, the valve is broken. That doesn't explain air in the line, if that is what you think is there. Is this a municipal water supply, or a well?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks