recommend me a Toilet from home depot

Users who are viewing this thread

ekim

Reaction score
Hello all.First post here.It's an easy one. I need a toilet from Home Depot For me ,my wife an 8 year old and our 3 year old.So I need something that's not too high.Water efficient. And has a flat top so we can store stuff on the tank.

Kohler
Glacier Bay
American Standard
Pegasis

A couple more I think?:p

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Problem is, there are either quality or performance issues with all of those, or when parts are needed, you'll be out of luck. Often, you can get a better toilet for less or the same at a plumbing supply store. Check out Terry's toilet reviews on the main page. Most of the toilets today are coming in 'comfort' height, which is nearly ADA complient (but not quite as high). A normal kitchen chair is 18-19" at the seat, most of the toilets are around 16". I'm tall, so I prefer a taller toilet. Most people don't have problems with most. I'd opt for a Toto, I put two daltons in my mother's house - one 'normal' and one ADA...she prefers the higher one.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A couple of corrections. A regular toilet is 15" high, an ADA one is 17", and HD usually has a lower price than the plumbing supply store, BUT you also run a higher chance of getting a defective one in exchange for the lower price.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I agree with hj on the Big Box quality of product. You really have to sort it out to find something installable.

For big box, you could try the Cadet 3 toielt
I think the Toto Dalton is better, but big box doesn't carry quality.

Since you are in Portland, you may want to check out Morgans
http://www.morgansonline.com/
They carry all brands, same as me, and they have Toto.

Last edited:

ekim

Reaction score
OK. What benefit would I have in buying a Toto as apposed to a cadet? What's the price difference.This is going to be the only toilet in a small bathroom for 4 people. Maybe I sould get a heated seat? I'm serious. Our bathroom gets a little chilly .just a thought if I'm going to spend the money. Any thoughts?

Jc60618

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
A couple of years ago I purchased a cheap $80 Eljer toilet from ******* for my house. To this date I have never had a problem with it clogging.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That depends entirely on the family in the home or even the batch production.
Some people will never plug a toilet, and some will find a way.
Most of my customers have been the "They can find a way." people. Or at least their kids are.
That's why they are researching toilets that work well. If they didn't have problems, they wouldn't be researching it so diligently.
I've seen builder grade toilets that have worked fine for me, and then I go to the next home with the same exact toilet, and I plug them up.
It's a "crap shoot" with toilets on the low end.
Since half of the toilets that are builder grade don't pan out, I can't recommend them.
If someone is paying to have fixtures installed, and they have to replace them, that it would have been a waste of money.
We pull Eljers all the time, those that were on the other side of the 50% equation.
They did make an Eljer Titan that worked better, in the $280 range.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Most toilets do not have an electrical outlet next to them to plug a heated seat into. Flushing with hot water might warm things up, although you might end up replacing the toilet on a regular basis.

ekim

Reaction score
I see what you mean with the pepper test video's. My toilet now is very old and has a large tank.Not very efficient ! I can see when you get in the smaller tank ranges you need a good flush. I'm sold on the Toto's . Now My choices are narrowed a bit. I want a low toilet for the kids with a flat tank top. Something with a full smooth skirt. Something that will not leave skid marks!:eek:

Does Toto make a plug in electric seat?

Last edited:

ekim

Reaction score
I also forgot that toielts come in different sizes. I don't need an elongated shape.Our tub sits right in front of it and we need the room. So the smaller the better.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Takagi makes a heated seat

Or for a bit more, you can pick up a bidet seat that is heated and has warm water wash.
Both of these use a house outlet as they come with a cord.

Skirted bowls normally only come in elongated.
The Toto elongated bowls tend to be 28" front to back and the round are 26.5"
Other brands may be longer.
Toto does have a skirted bowl, elongated that comes in at 27-1/4", the Aquia II, CST416M

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks