Single-Basin Kitchen Sink better than Double?

Users who are viewing this thread

jcc

Reaction score
I've always had double-basin kitchen sinks, but I'm considering a big, single-basin one instead. Do you like them? Would a single be bad for resale?

I'm also debating a copper sink, which would look great with our decor. I would like the darker patina they say they get, but not if it's so blotchy that it always looks like something's wrong with the sink. Any thoughts?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Most buyers would NOT appreciate a large single sink, because that means you can only perform one task at a time with it. If fewer basins was BETTER, then the THREE basin sinks would never be installed. A copper sink can look okay, or it can look terrible. The difference will be in the price you pay for it, but if it has a coating to minimize oxidation, any scratches will cause discoloration.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
There is less and less need for double-basin sinks now.

Dishwashers are quieter than ever, and do more than ever before. People now install TWO dishwashers now, one of which holds clean while the other is being loaded over X hours or days. This is one indication why a single sink can be fine. Recognize the DW for what it is.

Since I first complained (here, in public, at terrylove.com) five years ago about double-basin sinks being no good for washing large items, many manufacturers have come up with low-divide double basin sinks. This is a compromise.

Sinks are deeper now than ever before. The reason is that people can stash stuff they intend to let soak (+ rinse later), and not have to see the stuff from all angles when they are in the general vicinity of the sink. This works. When someone else leaves stuff to rinse later, other people seem pleased that the stuff is not in their field of vision when they walk by. The largest of the Large sinks let you "work around" that stuff too, so you are not completely blocked. Many people with deep and large single sinks find they like being able to hang a colander over the sink rim, and rinse veggies. They can also hang a temporary wash basin over the sink rim and wash stuff over their one and only main sink.

Garbage disposers are common for some people, and not for others. It really depends.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, I have a single, fairly large, D-shaped undermount sink. It has its limitations, but I don't feel particularly deprived because I don't have two sinks. I've got a tall faucet with a pull-out head that maximizes the room, and I've got it mounted to the back right-side, rather than centered in the back, so I can reach it even if there's all sorts of stuff packed in there (an advantage of an undermount, you can put the faucet wherever you want). As to undermount verses drop-in, I really like being able to brush crumbs, etc., into the sink and not have to worry about that rim and getting crud, etc., underneath it or the caulking looking crappy.

Agu

Reaction score
I installed a single basin kitchen sink a couple of years ago and the Mrs and I both love it. We'll never go back to a double basin sink again.

Most of the stuff we hand wash are pots and pans, It's a lot easier to wash them when they're flat on the bottom of the sink. And I do mean flat. Not only does the handle of a pan fit in the sink but the bottom of the sink is nearly flat . That comes in handy when you want to put a bunch of dishes/glasses in the sink.

In addition rinsing large items is much easier in a single basin sink. The faucet I went with is a higher rise than your typical faucet and suggest yo do that too. That way washing even the largest stock pot is easy. I will agree that a pull out sprayer is necessary if you go single basin.

Rughead

Reaction score
We have replaced any double basin sink we've ever had with a large, deep single basin everywhere we've lived. We're both cooks and kitchen conscious people and find that a large deep single basin sink with a high rise pull out faucet is best for the reasons stated above. Go for it and you won't regret it. Cheers.

sink-single.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks