Would like some advice. (DWV Drawing)

Users who are viewing this thread

GShelton

Reaction score
Website
www.houseofshelton.com
First, I must say thanks to all of you for being here. I think I have read just about every post here and I thank you all for it.

Next, I would like to ask your professional opinions on this drawing. Will this pass an inspection? Is this the proper way to go about it? Is there a better way.

I am in Central Florida and the bathroom will be in a garage with a slab on grade foundation. I have plumbing expirience, but have never done a full design before.

The picture may not totally look accurate. Note the text next to the fittings as opposed to just the pic. :)

Thanks in advance.

5009drain.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drains

The drawing appears to be okay, but there are a couple of items that would depend on exactly how the connection was made whether it would be approved or not. What kind of garage? Around here, if it was a "public" garage and the only bathroom it would have to be to ADA standards

GShelton

Reaction score
Website
www.houseofshelton.com
Thanks for the reply hj.

It is a 40'X100' steel building. It is my own private garage being built as a detatched garage on my property.

What fittings do you question?

(BTW: The text stating that all P-traps are tied in with a wye should have read sanitary tee instead. Should not have posted so late last night. LOL!) Text in the photo has been updated.

Something else I noticed in the picture this morning is that the 4X4x2 wye from the toilet would actually be further downstream to have room for the sweep, but I do not see that as an issue.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Fittings on their side (horizontal) and below grade should be wye fittings.

When rolling a vent off with a wye, most of the time, you would use a 45 and make sure that the rolled vent is above the flow line of the waste line.
For the toilet, that would be wye with 45 pointing the same direction as the pipe, and running toward the wall with the vent, using a long turn 90 at the wall when you go vertical.
Vents can tie together at 42" from the floor.

GShelton

Reaction score
Website
www.houseofshelton.com
You guys are awesome.

One more big question though: I had a friend of mine (who is a building inspector for another county) take my drawing to work and ask the plumbing inspector about it. He said I could lose the vent on the toilet and shower, not to connect the urinal and shower drain pipes together and that I need to plumb in the urinal last.

Does that make any sense? How on this planet would I be able to get the shower to the drain before the urinal with out an elevation problem? I can not afford the depth to sink the main plumbing any further than absolutely neccessary as I have a 40ft run to the septic.

Any advice?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drains

Maybe that is why he is an inspector rather than a plumber. What you have is the way you want to install it. Just be sure to roll up to the vents and not have them come off at the drain's elevation.

Dubldare

Plumber/Gasfitter
Reaction score
I would make two alterations to your drawing if I were putting it in where I am, MN.

1) Wet vent the toilet with the lav waste.
2) Run the shower waste 'due south' in your picture and vent in that shower wall. Use a wye and street 1/8 downstream of that 4" 45.

These changes will eliminate the flat vent for the shower, and 'wash' the closet vent.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
changes

Every plumber would have his "best" layout and they would all be different. For example, the shower drain could be run further to the left into the back wall with an elbow, sanitary tee, and vent riser to eliminate the flat vent. or a 4x2 combination Y-1/8 bend installed in the main line running to the left, the shower combo under the "south" wall with a sanitary tee to the trap and vent riser, and then continue to the urinal. In fact, if there were enough depth, I would run the 3" to the lavatory, insert the toilet tee there and angle over to the toilet's location, and then connect the lavatory into the top of the toilet's tee, after a 3" cleanout of course. These are mostly cosmetic revisions which would affect the operation of the system very little. The 40' run to the septic tank could be a factor or not depending on the relative elevations between the finished floor and the septic inlet.

Last edited:

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Terry, you said earlier

"When rolling a vent off with a wye, most of the time, you would use a 45 and make sure that the rolled vent is above the flow line of the waste line."

I'm curious about the "most of the time" and "above the flow line". I've got a layout very close to GShelton's, with a similar elevation problem -- I'm about 60' from the septic tank, and there's not enough room to roll the 3x3x2 wye up to 45 degrees for the vent. I've tried to simulate the flat vent with a test line, water, toilet paper, and various solids, and have (so far) not seen any hint of hangups, clogging, etc., as the flow passes the vent opening (flow goes from filling the pipe to below the flat Y opening), so I'm cautiously optimistic that I can get by without the full 45 degree roll (or any roll at all, for that matter). The vent rises at 1/4" per foot. What's the real-world wisdom/experience on this? Is there any other obscure fitting that might allow a lower overall profile and get the vent opening up higher?

(This fitting will be about 2 feet downstream from a Toto Drake feeding into a 4x3 reducing closet bend, fwiw).

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks