(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Underground required?

Default Underground required?

My front yard is approx 600 feet long and 169 wide.. I have a 1 HP pump in 4" well at about 100 feet... I have a 1.25 PVC connection directly off of the Bladder tank for irrigation.. I also have a 4' fence that runs along the side of the property where the pump is. I would like to just run 1.25 pipe along the top portion of the fence and then T-off every 50 feet or so to heads that I will install... Also I would like to run the wire along the fence pipe and keep the servo switches also tied to the fence... I know this probably seems crazy, but not looking forward to digging the whole waterline... Just a thought... thanks in advance...

Irrigation Contractor Fireguy97's Avatar

It'll look like hell, but go for it. I service a couple of clients that have done that.

Don't use unprotected PVC for the pipe on top of the fence. Unprotected PVC is not UV resistant. If you do use PVC use a pant that goes onto plastic. Are the heads/pressure, and flow that you're using able to cover 100'? Normally you will want 'head to head' coverage to do it properly.

Mick

Thanks Mick... Have not got that far yet... However you brought up a valid point about UV protection... Not too sure I want to paint 600 feet of PVC... Therefore will probably rent a trencher... Haven't got to the part about figuring the amount of water, just had that thought earlier about putting it on the fence...Again thanks Mick for your input.. Have a great day...//Moe

Irrigation Contractor Fireguy97's Avatar

Moe, I should have been a little more clear in my reply. What I meant to say was thit IF you want to use PVC, don't forget about the UV. But black poly pipe is UV resistant. It'll still look like hell IMHO, but it is UV resistant.

Do you know how to find out what your PSI and flow rate is?

Mick

I am not sure HOW you plan to operate these heads, unless you plan to drop a line into the ground with a valve at each head. Usually, when the line is run at the top of the fence, the heads are attached directly to it in an upward orientation, and the control valve operates them all at the same time.