CRANE - slow flusher

Users who are viewing this thread

amat_plumb

Reaction score
CRANE - slow flusher - NEW brown color

Have an older Crane toilet taht just doesnt work that great

it flushes most of the time. not the best fulsh, kind of slow, not strong

use plunger on it frequently. sometimes after plunged well, seems to work pretty good for a short while

waht can cause this. Is there a blockage in trapway, or below toilet??? Are the jets/siphon jet not clean/blocked?? the tank is full when I flush, and fills ok.

how can I troubleshoot this? should I just replace??

I have a smililar model downstairs that doesnt have these issues

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
More than likely you have something in the trapway of the bowl slowing down the siphon.

Take a closet auger to it and see what you find.

auger_01.jpg

We use a closet auger with the large 1-3/8" end on it.
Smaller cables can go right by the obstruction and not move it.

auger_02.jpg

amat_plumb

Reaction score
the auger i have doesnt seem to have an end on it at all. the wire just slightly is opened

will try anyway

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
HOW old is the toilet? Does it have a flapper in the bottom with a white styrofoam float? I have had toilets like that which have lost their floats inside the toilet which blocked the flow. Once, I removed FOUR of them from one toilet.

amat_plumb

Reaction score
pretty old. i did replace flapper months ago. dont know what you mean about styrofoam floats. where do they get stuck?? in the flush valve/hole??

there is nothing loose in the tank

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Assuming you have a Crane toilet with the molded china flapper seat, then the original, and many replacement flappers have a white styrofoam float on the bottom. Originally the tank to bowl gasket had plastic insert with "X" crossmembers to catch the float if it fell off. Quite often over the years that insert disappears and then the float can drop into the water passage that goes to the siphon jet preventing proper flushing. I remove them by heating a wire red hot, shoving it down through the flush valve opening, hopefully into the float, waiting minute or so for it to cool off and then pulling the wire out. If it penetrated it properly, it will be stuck to the wire and come out. Otherwise, you have to remove the tank so you can see the float and then remove it that way.

amat_plumb

Reaction score
should these pieces of styrofoam be visible deep in the flush valve, or do I need to remove the tank to check

amat_plumb

Reaction score
interesting detail

forgot to mention. brown streaks seeping from top of bowl jets. also bottom of flapper is brown/discoloured(originally pink)

no other discolouration in tank. could there be something in flush valve/ jet ring area????

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks