Solar looks complex…but not if you have help.

Users who are viewing this thread

alexcruz8ac

Reaction score
It's great that solar is more affordable then ever. As many here have suggested, it's always best to shop around and compare quotes. Plus there are differences in solar panel manufacturers, mounting and other equipment. It might not require as much research and planning as redoing a kitchen, but you should at least know what is going to be on your roof for the next 25 years.
You can search and compare options at <a href="http://FreeCleanSolar.com"> FreeCleanSolar.com </a>. They have a directory of local solar panel installers representing most every solar panel brand including Sunpower, Kyocera, Sharp, Evergreen and Sunwize. You can also find information about state solar rebates, federal tax credits, solar financing and leasing, system costs and the benefits of going solar. The bottom line is that many homeowners and business owners can afford solar power today.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Depending on where you live, the solar system may NOT "be on your roof for the nest 25 years". Here, most were gone within 10 years of installation, either because the panels froze and busted, or the storage tank/heater started leaking. In either case, repairs were expensive and therefore the systems were abandoned in favor of a conventional unit. Solar also does not work good with gas water heaters. Solar, like tankless heaters, have their place in the market, but do not overhype them as a panacea for all installations. And, I would hope the person had more than just "some help" because they are NOT a DIY installation.

MoverandShaker

Reaction score
Depending on where you live, the solar system may NOT "be on your roof for the nest 25 years". Here, most were gone within 10 years of installation, either because the panels froze and busted, or the storage tank/heater started leaking. In either case, repairs were expensive and therefore the systems were abandoned in favor of a conventional unit. Solar also does not work good with gas water heaters. Solar, like tankless heaters, have their place in the market, but do not overhype them as a panacea for all installations. And, I would hope the person had more than just "some help" because they are NOT a DIY installation.

I completely agree with you, hj. I had a friend who wanted to install their own solar power base, but it ended up falling through. Many of the solar equipment pieces that you start with are incredibly expensive; and because it's fairly new, it isn't in high demand and the costs will continue to remain high. Sure, you're saving the planet by utilizing a different sources of energy, but you're burning a hole in your pocket and wasting your time. Unless the use of solar power is for a large company building, it's rendered useless -- at least, in my opinion.

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
Picked up 2 solar water heating panels for free that were in use for over 20 years
Each panel is now heating a hot tub
One tub (newer) tops out at 110, the other one (older) only gets up to 103

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks