Suck, no Suck

Users who are viewing this thread

RodB

Reaction score
I drove a "sand point well" with 1 1/2" pipe. The depth is around 30'. I have a 1/2 hp. pump on it and doesn't produce any water. I hooked up a (I believe it called) Pitcher Pump, where you pump the handle up and down, and it does produce water. Not a heck of a lot, but, it does produce. The pumping action takes a little effort, but, not bad. I do have a check valve on the pipe. So, what's the bad news? Is it salvagable?

RodB

Reaction score
I guess my question is still "why can I get water with a "picture pump" and not a shallow well pump (1/2 hp)? I now understand that a shallow well electric pump creates a "vacuum". Therefore the "hand pump", being the "picture pump", must create an actual lift of water. Or what?

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Try cutting of the line between the pump and the pressure tank, then connect the pitcher pump to the priming plug of the jet pump. If you can pump water with the pitcher pump easily, then the jet pump should pump water as well. If it is hard to pump with the pitcher pump you have a lift problem or limited water in the well.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The practical maximum distance ANY pump can deliver water from is about 27'. If the water is that close to the elevation of the pump, then either the pitcher pump or the electric pump can deliver water. Your electric pump is either not primed or is worn so it cannot produce the proper "suction" to raise the water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks