Compression Angle Stops vs. Solder Stops

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
Great thread here

https://terrylove.com/forums/showth...n-Pedestal-Sink&highlight=angle+supply+solder

I've always done 90 degree hard brass on copper inside the walls with chrome nipples on renovation.
For sinks with cabinets, I've come out with copper stubs, and then usually will solder a angle stop on them (thinking sweat angle stop is 100% solid vs a compression angle stop).

On the thread referenced above....not quite sure what the preferred/professional method is.
Pro's. When is a compression stop more applicable than a sweat angle stop?

My biggest grip about sweat stops is that because I like things to be relatively flush, I usually have 2 pieces of the fire retardent backing on the backside of the cabinet just to make sure everything is all hunkey dorey ....

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Most if not all pro plumbers prefer the compression stops. Besides avoiding the problems you mention, they are quicker. For the pros, time=money. Either method works, so it's pretty much up to the individual.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It depends on the part of the country you are in. Some codes require sweat on shutoffs. The reason for them is to provide more work for plumbers.
Other parts of the country allow compression stops. They make the most sense. You don't have to worry about burning cabinets or walls. If you need to replace a compression stop, you slap a sleeve puller behind the nut, slip it off and slam on a bright new shiny shutoff and backing escutcheon.
Try heating up an old soldered stop, and you're pretty much cooking what shouldn't be cooked.
Forget about the backing plate looking good when your are done. And I don't know that the heat is all that good for you parts inside the shutoff either.

All I've ever installed were compression.
One of my customers soldered on his shutoffs. He almost burned down the house.

flange_02.jpg

Chefwong

Reaction score
Is that a Dahl stop valve I spy Terry. I have a stash myself......just because it's made in NA ...

You learn something new everyday. I never never really considered compression valves...only for exposed supplys I did.
Let me give it a whirl the next time around.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks