(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Compression Angle Stops vs. Solder Stops

Default Compression Angle Stops vs. Solder Stops

Great thread here

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/show...+supply+solder

I've always done 90 degree hard brass on copper inside the walls with chrome nipples on renovation.
    For sinks with cabinets, I've come out with copper stubs, and then usually will solder a angle stop on them (thinking sweat angle stop is 100% solid vs a compression angle stop).

On the thread referenced above....not quite sure what the preferred/professional method is.
    Pro's. When is a compression stop more applicable than a sweat angle stop?

My biggest grip about sweat stops is that because I like things to be relatively flush, I usually have 2 pieces of the fire retardent backing on the backside of the cabinet just to make sure everything is all hunkey dorey ....

Most if not all pro plumbers prefer the compression stops. Besides avoiding the problems you mention, they are quicker. For the pros, time=money. Either method works, so it's pretty much up to the individual.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It depends on the part of the country you are in. Some codes require sweat on shutoffs. The reason for them is to provide more work for plumbers.
    Other parts of the country allow compression stops. They make the most sense. You don't have to worry about burning cabinets or walls. If you need to replace a compression stop, you slap a sleeve puller behind the nut, slip it off and slam on a bright new shiny shutoff and backing escutcheon.
    Try heating up an old soldered stop, and you're pretty much cooking what shouldn't be cooked.
    Forget about the backing plate looking good when your are done. And I don't know that the heat is all that good for you parts inside the shutoff either.

All I've ever installed were compression.
    One of my customers soldered on his shutoffs. He almost burned down the house.

Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area

Compressions all the way for me, unless I'm dealing with 3/8" IPS threads in an older home.

I prefer compressions as they hold up relatively well in all applications.
    Read what the end of this sentence means.

Is that a Dahl stop valve I spy Terry. I have a stash myself......just because it's made in NA ...

You learn something new everyday. I never never really considered compression valves...only for exposed supplys I did.
    Let me give it a whirl the next time around.