Help..Broken micro-switch tab, twice

Users who are viewing this thread

homermandy

Reaction score
My Kenmore softener was consistently running. After looking, I noticed the white tab on the microswitch had broken off. I ordered a new one, installed, and the white tab broke off right away. I was able to epoxy the outer shell back so the switch is fine, but before I reinstall it, I wanted to know what would keep causing the switch to break? It is a Kenmore 625. 348670. The switch does not have the metal arm, just the white button., It does look very tight tolerances when the hub rotates, any ideas?

homermandy

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply... I am confused, what does the rotor seal do?
How would that affect the switch breaking?

Thanks......

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Did you replace the micro switch with the same kind of micro switch?

Did the old one have a metal arm or the little white button?
What is the new one that sears says is the one for your unit?
Possible that they sent the wrong one?

homermandy

Reaction score
i replaced with the exact same switch. Here is the pic. I just got my entire seal kit, replaced rotor seal and orings like stated in earlier post, put new switch on, it made it a few clicks then BROKE again. I know my old switch did not have the tab. I am stumped..... Something caused the switch to break and keep breaking.

Attachments

• smallswitch..JPG
    smallswitch..JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 488

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
One of the reasons that I am not fond of the sears units....

Metal cam is still turning in the same direction that it was before..

First one broke the same way that the second one did...

I ask about the rotation of the cam becuase I just had to replace a motor that was turning counter clock wise when it should have been doing clock wise... talk about doing a number on the rest of the system....

homermandy

Reaction score
Yes, cam is turning the correct clockwise way. both broke the same way. I understand the design, the tapered groove which should slowly press the switch down, but i am at a loss.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Like wise,,, I am running over a few ideas in the mind...

The first one or old one might have been because of age, but the second one after a turn or two of the cam.. that is a puzzle.

homermandy

Reaction score
Update

Ok, the 2nd broken switch was actually a repaired switch with epoxy after it broke. Remember I bought this switch after the 1st broke, installed it BEFORE I got the rotor seal kit, and it broke.

So, I installed the new one I just got and it ran the complete cycle last night...so the repair was probably not sufficient... I'll monitor it and let you know. Thanks for the help...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks