Can I offset from the existing rough-in a new Vanity installation?

Users who are viewing this thread

TomD

Reaction score
I'm finishing up this bathroom remodel and my wife ordered a vanity that I wish was not as wide as it is. Could I offset the vanity to the left a few inches and still use the drain rough-in? In other words, can I elbow over and then down to the trap under the sink. I know the flex hoses can work with the water supplies but is it code compliant to offset the drain?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can't use flex for drains.

The trap will swing maybe 4" to either side.
Changing elevation is a whole nother story though.
They do make extensions if the drain comes out of the wall too low, if the outlet in the wall is too high, you may need to open the wall and move the drain.
Since you are placing a cabinet over the wall, that's not really that big a deal.

lav_rough_1.jpg

Last edited:

TomD

Reaction score
Thank you. I'd rather not open the wall. In fact, the the 4" vent that drain connects to is within 8" of where the drain goes through the wall. And...I had the wall open when I removed all of the old tile and it would kill my pride if I admitted that I could have fixed this at that time. :)

Terry, you have a great website.

TomD

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. That's actually what I had in mind. I didn't know if it was code compliant.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks