Comparing Toto Drake to Western Aris, a review of the Western Aris

Users who are viewing this thread

Nornee

Reaction score
Hi all, I am new to post, but been lurking for a while now! :) I thought I was pretty much sold on the Drake Eco after reading what everyone has to say, but, I have just found some Western Aris toilets for sale (half the cost of the Drake) at a Liquidation Centre. This doesn't seem to be a bad toilet from what little info I could find. Does anyone have anything to say about the Western Aris?
Thanks so much!

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They should be a lot cheaper then that.
I don't pay very much at all for the Western Aris. I was selling the Aris for $99.00 at one time.

I quit selling them when the local rep told one of my customers that I didn't know how to install toilets.
The tank wobbled on the Western Aris.
And neither the rep for Western, nor any of the Kings Men could stop it from wobbling.
So, even though the customer was getting a $75.00 rebate from the city of Seattle for the toilet, and I had felt so sorry for the woman, that I had thrown in a free flange repair and shutoff ( $100.00 of free work ) she complained that is was a "cheap" toilet and reported me to the BBB and the State Attorney's office. She said I shouldn't be installing and selling cheap toilets like the Western Aris.
Her complaint, is the only complaint that I've had since I opened for business in 1992.
(The only complaint in eighteen years)

I have never sold another Western Pottery toilet.
Whey would I after that?

They are a cheap toilet, and I can't make a silk purse out of a pigs ear.

The Toto Drake has a cradle for the tank to set down into.
The Western Aris doesn't, so the two bolt tank rocks back and forth on the thick rubber washer.

The Drake lid fits flush
The Aris lid hangs over

The Drake has a 3 flush valve.
The Aris has a 2" flush valve.

The Drake has a rounded, sweeping trapway for a better siphon, that rarely ever clogs
The Aris has a smaller trapway, with sharp bends, at one point it drops to the floor, and the last bend is a sharp 90 degree bend.

The Drake has a sliding float fill valve.
The Aris as a cheap ball cock.

I get less then 1% returns on the Drake
The Aris is a cheaply made toilet, period.

These two toilets should never be compared.
They are in totally different classes.
One is a cheap builder grade toilet with cheap components, the other is a high performance, well designed and well inspected product before it ever leaves the factory. Much more time and effort has been put into the Toto during manufacture.

Aris, Builder grade
Drake, High performance upgrade. I get many repeat sales from the Toto.

Below is a picture of the Western Aris,
notice the sharp bends on the trapway.

wp_822..jpg

Love Plumbing & Remodel has an A+ rating with the BBB and an A+ rating with Angies List

Last edited:

Nornee

Reaction score
Well...I guess that pretty much determines the direction we will go! Pretty brutal on that poor Aris! For the record, I knew I wasn't comparing apples to apples, but I was looking for exactly what you gave me. Thanks so much! :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks