burnt smell

Users who are viewing this thread

greenbaypackersfan

Reaction score
My old doorbell button switch was defective. 3:30am in the morning it began to ring constantly as if someone had press the button and held it there. I woke up and opened the door to see no-one there. Upon some investigation, I realized the wires connecting to the button was hitting each other and causing it to ring. After putting an electrical tape and replacing with a new button, it seemed to work fine.

However, because I have a standard doorbell chime (see below)

"Heath Zenith Heath Zenith Wired Door Chime Contractor Kit With Mixed Push Buttons"

http://www.*********.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

this type of Chime has the Ding-Dong effort, when button is pressed, it goes up to DING and back down to DONG. Because the wire was jammed, and the chime was stuck in DING, it had a strong burnt smell. So I replaced the chime with an identical one from home depot for $9.99. (Did not burnt out the transformer, it is fine.)

My question is, after replacing the button and the chime. I can still smell a slight burnt-smell whenever I open the front door or near that area (the chime is in the ceiling next to the front door.

is this normal?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The coil got quite hot and boiled off some coatings (could be lacquer, or tar). That vapor (smoke?) deposited on things, and as noted, takes awhile to dissipate. The ceiling paint probably won't take well to scrubbing, but that could help, as could some of the things like maybe Fabreeze.

greenbaypackersfan

Reaction score
ahhhh... okay I totally understand. I did inspect the transformer for awhile and thought perhaps one of the wires got burnt off (but that wasn't the case.) The coil did get quite hot (put my finger there and whew, got a slight burn before replacing it.

thank you guys for the response.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks