(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To Kohler (faucets) or not to Kohler...

Quote Originally Posted by geniescience View Post
    How To Buy A Faucet is what you really want to be reading.
    I've already read all the 'general' info- I know the features I WANT in a faucet - the problem I'm having is with recommendations as to specific brands. VERY LITTLE of what I've found Googling is objective - it's almost all from sales websites or PR releases.
    Then, in various forums, one person says "get Moen & Delta, NOT Kohler", whereas the next will say "get Kohler, NOT Moen OR Delta".
    I think that MIGHT also be IL's problem. As for me, I don't much care WHERE they are made, as long as they are reliable and easy to repair/easy availability of parts. I've seen enough "made in USA" crap (Maytag 2002, anyone?) to not automatically buy USA.

PS - I know there is a plumber on this forum from Cave Creek AZ - if you're out there, can you recommend any good plumbing supply houses/showrooms that are not SNOTTY? And might actually be able to give a little bit of subjective ADVICE? Sad to say, I live in Snottsdale...but one of the 'older' parts (around here, that means built in 1989).

What you will get here are OPINIONS, and those are based on personal history, and therefor are anecdotal to a great extent, rather than scientific. You should buy the faucet you llike, from a reputable brand, and deal with it from there out. My choice for a shower, for example, is a 3 handle, non-ceramic, price pfister Windsor. Has performed flawlessly for 25 years, and I like it. If I were to remodel, I would have to go with a pressure bal, and probably would opt for a Delta 1700. We are not hung up on style, so would be perfectly happy with the design choices available. Others will be looking for the "bold look of Kohler". Your choice.

Good, I am looking for OPINIONS! I know the STYLES and FEATURES I'd, but I need some OPINIONS on what some of you consider 'reliable' brands, that will last and if they need repair, that I can get replacement parts for. I can't believe how EXPENSIVE they are to start with, so I better get good ones. I have been appalled by the no-nothings and downright liars I have encountered locally. It seems like you guys know much more than anyone I've encountered around here.

Actually, the one thing I DON'T want to replace are the shower heads. I can NOT abide the newer low-flow shower heads; they do NOT save water, I use the same amount; they simply make it take TWICE as long for me to shower and get all the shampoo/conditioner out of my hair. Waste of my time. So I will keep these going as long as I can, and just replace the handles and maybe just the shower head base cover plate if I can.

BTW, I found this forum and Terry's website after I, like an idiot, bought a Kohler toilet at Home Depot - boy what a crappy toilet! (pun intended) - great if all I ever need to do is number ONE. I *thought* that Kohler was a 'reliable' brand. AFTER the fact, I researched it and that's how I found this site. Now I have a better idea on what to buy for the toilet in the other bathroom. But that's another story.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

It somewhat depends on what brands are well supported at your city. Personally, I like Grohe. I just bought a new Delta valve and am going to install it at my mother's house in a couple of days. Upon advice here, I chose one of their 17xx series valves. You have a choice of three different cartridges for the same rough-in: pressure balanced single handle, pressure balanced two handle, and two handled thermstatically controlled. I chose the middle one - set the temp, and normally, you can leave it there (you may have to change it with the seasons). In some cases, it's nice to have a variable volume control rather than the on/off you get with the generic pressure balanced valves (the least expensive). The Grohe valve I have is one huge honking hunk of chrome plated brass. Should last a lifetime. Still looks new after 6-years or so. Some like Moen. The old one I'm replacing at my mother's is Moen and it is probably 40-years old - still works, but is not anti-scald. Since I added a shower to the house, the risk of scalding is greater, and I'm going to relpace that valve to preclude that possibility for her. the trim should look bettere, too.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Question Was going for Kohler shower control

The plumber I hired wants to use a Wolverine Endurance shower valve which is made in the US. This is appealing , but I like the look of the Kohler Mastershower. Any opinions on Wolverine vs. Kohler? Either would look OK, but Wolverine seems to only sell to professionals (including parts).

It's all about Kohler. Yeah they are kind of expensive, but the offer thousands of options so you can find affordable quality faucets. https://www.plumbersstock.com/catego...ohler-faucets/

quote; .. Strangely enough the Purist shower valve is turned clockwise to turn ON and counterclockwise to turn OFF. Weird.

Not really weird. That is the way Kohler does it.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber