Need help identifying a Moen 1200 shower valve/cartridge

Users who are viewing this thread

Sproksch

Reaction score
Hello – can anyone help identify my Moen shower cartridge/valve (photo attached)? It just says Moen on the valve but there are no numbers anywhere. I emailed Moen but they haven't gotten back to me.

The cartridge is fine, but what I need is a trim kit that will fit this cartridge. The previous trim’s knob would just turn completely around and not stop at hot or cold. Pretty annoying, so I thought I’d try and fix it by finding the appropriate knob and trim. But it’s pretty hard when you can figure out the model of your cartridge/valve.

If I can’t figure out the valve model, is there a generic trim kit/knob out there that might work?

moen valve..jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The "stop" for the handle is IN the HANDLE, so if it keeps rotating you either do NOT have the chrome "stop tube" slid over that brass part of the valve, or you have a handle for a lavatory faucet. I am not sure that your "cartridge is okay" anymore, since you have pulled the center piece out of it. There are several companies that make new trim for your valve, you just have to be sure that the two anchor screw holes in the round plate are both below the handle opening, not one at the lower left and the other at the upper right. IF you put everything back together properly, all you need is a new TUB/SHOWER handle which Home Depot and many hardware stores carry, but also ensure that it is not for a "positemp" valve which uses a different handle altogether.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You have removed the shank-only of a standard Moen 1200 brass cartridge. It takes standard Legend or Chateau trim ( make sure to specify trim that is NOT for positemp or moentrol.)
There is not a huge variety, but you can get a brushed nickel or even oil rubbed bronze escutcheon, to go with the teardrop shape acrylic pull-out type handle.

The two ears you see at the top and bottom of the opening are the main part of that cartridges, and you need to get a moen cartridge puller to try and loosen that up and pull it out.

moen1225.gif

Moen 1225B cartridge

moen-1200-1225.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sproksch

Reaction score
ah ha! I think you guys nailed it. I think someone had remodeled this with a lavatory handle because it did not have a stop tube; just a handle and a rubber sleeve that formed a seal.

And thanks for tip on the cartridge. I thought I had left something of the cartridge behind - I've replaced a couple of cartridges in the past but they've always come out in one piece. So, when I just pulled the shank out of this one, I thought maybe I was just dealing with a weird old cartridge.

thanks again!
Steve

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The Moentrol DOES use the 1200/1225 cartridge. The stop tube is NOT part of the handle, it is the stainless steel piece that slides onto the valve before you install the handle, (you do have one, don't you?). A lavatory handles DOES have the stop, but it is in the wrong location when used as a tub/shower handle.

Sproksch

Reaction score
Understood - a stop tube was not installed on this whenever someone remodeled it. All they had was the escutcheon, a round knob/handle, and a rubber sleeve that provided the seal around the knob. I can see that this plastic knob has what looks to be stops as part of the molded plastic, but I'm guessing that this would fit a lavatory faucet.

I'm thinking I need a whole new trim kit that includes an actual shower handle, stop tube, and escutcheon.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The Moentrol DOES use the 1200/1225 cartridge. .

My point was that the escutcheons are not the same...similar...but not necessarily interchangeable. His is not moentrol....I don't see he spool in the pics.

Sproksch

Reaction score
Just finished buying and installing the Chateau trim kit - it fits great and everything seems to be working! The cartridge seems ok after I put the stem back in. Hopefully it'll last me a while longer.

Thanks again for everyone's help! The old lady is happy!

Steve

moen-tl473-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks