McAfee's Downed Your Computer? Here is the fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry Love

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Fix for the McAfee anti virus program that disabled thousands of computers running XP Pro Windows this morning.

This morning and virus signature update from for McAfee Total Protection took down thousands of computers.

The update causes the antivirus program to identify a critical system file as a virus and subsequently remove it.

Directions:

The fix involves replacing the file. I did this by copying it from a working Windows XP computer.

• Copy svchost from the directory "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32" I had to do this by burning it to a CDR because the affected computer was not able to properly read USB drives.
  • On the affected machine pull up your task manager by hitting "Ctrl+Alt+Del."
  • Click "File" and select "New Task (Run...)."\
  • In the box that appears type "command" and hit enter.
  • At the command prompt that pops up type "copy d:\svchost c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\" (Where "d:" represents the drive letter for the cd drive you are copying from.)
  • The prompt should say "1 file(s) copied."
  • Restarting your computer should bring everything back as expected.
-Caleb
McAfee, McAffee antivirus fix

And here is McAfee's patch and instructions I found a day later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks