Culligan water softener stuck on regeneration

Users who are viewing this thread

shiv

Reaction score
Hi,

An old problem has re-surfaced and I was hoping to get some advice. My Culligan water softener is stuck on regeneration. It is supposed to come on at 1pm and finish, I guess, 2 hours later. It is now 5:20pm and it shows no sign of stopping. The dreaded eror code "E1" is also showing. I have hit the by-pass valve for now. The last time this happened I called the service guy, who was extremely helpful. He told me that the valve was stuck, somehow got it working again (I remember him asking me to give it a good tap), and did not charge me anything! I have tried tapping on the same place, but not too hard as I do want to break anything! But it does not seem to help at all. Can anyone suggest anything else I could try before calling for service again?

The model seems to be a: "Culligan Medallist Plus Series 45 Water Softener with Soft-Minder Meter".

Thanks,

--shiv--

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds like the piston is stuck or the brine piston is stuck...

How good are you with taking things apart and putting things back together?

Age of the unit?
Water? Iron ? hardness?

shiv

Reaction score
Sounds like the piston is stuck or the brine piston is stuck...

How good are you with taking things apart and putting things back together?

Age of the unit?
Water? Iron ? hardness?

I know I would not be good at taking apart this thing! The water hardness in my house is very high (according to the Culligan technician). The unit is about 10 years old.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you are not good at a tare down of the valve it sounds like saddly time for the service tech... as either main or brine piston is stuck and the motor can not move it to the next spot.

Richard Menth

Reaction score
I have the same problem with my Medalist. I unplugged the unit and did a regen and the error code disappeared and the regen was successful. This will probably happen again. Can I take the piston out and clean and relube it?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks