Cast iron DWV

Users who are viewing this thread

Zach

Reaction score
Another question about my 1928 home. I'm working on a currently gutted half bath on the 2nd floor. DWV is currently cast iron. The standpipe runs up to the bathroom, horizontally to the toilet, horizontilly to the lav, and then vertically to the roof for vent.

The bathroom has had problems with a leaking toilet flange in the past, as evidenced by water damage. The pipes and connections all look great. The flange though, does not. It's warped and cracked.

It has been suggested to me that I replace the cast iron with PVC. But I'm thinking "if it aint broke, dont fix it" applies here. I'd like to leave the piping alone, cut the ears off the cast iron flange, and use one of those "cast iron replacement" closet flanges with an adjustable, mechanical connection.

Does this sound reasonable? Or would it be a better idea to pay a plumber to replace the flange with another one made of cast iron? Any reason to not leave the rest of the pipe alone?

Thanks,

Zach
Edit/Delete Message

Last edited:

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
flange

I thought you said that it's broken.......
Then why wouldn't you want to replace it rather than a cover it up ?
Couldn't look at myself in the mirror if I used that repair bracket.........
or screwed it to thr floor.......

Zach

Reaction score
plumber1 said:
I thought you said that it's broken.......
Then why wouldn't you want to replace it rather than a cover it up ?
Couldn't look at myself in the mirror if I used that repair bracket.........
or screwed it to thr floor.......

The top of the flange is broken. It appears the connection to the pipe is ok.

And I'm not talking about using one of those brackets to repair an ear on the flange, but a complete replacement flange (one that bonds mechanically inside the existing flange). Click here for flange info

I'd like to make a repair that will last a long time. I prefer doing things myself. So if this is just as good as having a plumber replace the lead flange, then I'd rather go this route .. if it's not nearly as good, then I'll have a plumber replace the whole flange instead..

thoughts?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flange

I would not do it, especially on the second floor. In 1928 cast iron pipe was cast in a different way than the modern pipe is. Because of that there can be a internal "offset" where the molds came together, and an internal mechanical seal cannot handle that condition. It is very easy for a plumber to "knock" the old flange off and lead/oakum a new one one. It is a matter of just a few minutes time and gives a lifetime of security.

Zach

Reaction score
Sounds good to me. I'll let a pro take care of it.

Thanks for the replies!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks