Where to install expansion tank

Users who are viewing this thread

rockpile7

Reaction score
To MACPLUMB, Redwood and anyone else who wants to chime in.

As per your recommendations, I have included a picture of my existing water heater cold water inlet. I am going to add an expansion tank as required and recommended by everyone here.

img208..jpg

The distance from the water heater to the shut-off is only 7". I have an additional 5" above the shut-off before it meets a tee.

I'm thinking of a using a loop back which means the expansion tank would hang below the lower pipe in the loop.

Is there a better way?

Thanks in advance
John

rockpile7

Reaction score
Thinking about it again, I'm pretty sure it would be better to mount the tank on the top of the loop.
Let me know which would work best.

John

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Technically, the expansion tank should be between the tank and the cold water shutoff.

rockpile7

Reaction score
Jim,

I know from reading posts here that that is the preferred method. I'm just wondering how best to make that happen.

John

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You've got enough room to put a T in there. You need to support the thing, as when it fails, it will get heavy.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
TECHNICALLY, the tank can go anywhere in your plumbing system. PREFERABLY, it goes between the valve and the tank, but only so it would do its job even if you were to turn off the water supply to the heater WHILE the burner was operating. You can mount it anywhere and/or any way, you wish to, or can. The tank mounting is omnidirectional so it can hang down, stand upright, or stick out sideways in any direction.

rockpile7

Reaction score
Thanks guys,

I just picked up a Watts ETX-15 which is the 2.1 gallon model expansion tank. My water pressure (70 psi) and WH capacity (50 gallon) puts this at the upper end for the 2.1 gallon but I think it should be OK.

I will put it in on Saturday.

I'll let you know how it goes.
John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks