Stove Hood feed....

Users who are viewing this thread

Rich B

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I am doing a little kitchen remodel and am adding a stove exhaust hood. I don't have the cabinets or the hood and wanted to run the feed. I have an oulet at about 60-62 inches now directly above where the stove will be. The hoods are usually hard wired, I assume. What is the usual height of a hood under a cabinet and the best way to run the feed in advance for the hood ?

Jeff1

Reaction score
I think you need to know the cabinet layout before running the wires. The hood can be hard wired or plugged into an existing outlet. My hood is not in a cabinet and I had to make sure the box was accessable for installation but hidden after. The hood I got had to be at least 30 inches above the stove top. The wiring instrutions told me where the box should be and I worked from that. I guess the answer is: it depends.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It really depends on the hood you choose. Best thing is to decide on that, review the instructions (often available on-line), then do the rough-in for the wiring. On some, you plug them in, on some, the hood itself has an electrical box, so the wire must be more exact in it's location coming out of the wall. Also, the hood design will dictate what size circuit you need. Most can work off of a 15a circuit, but if it has lots of lights (warming lamps and lighting), and a big motor, it could require a 20A circuit (not that common). If I remember, mine has a 1hp motor, two 250W heating lamps, and 100W of lamps that needed its own 15A circuit. Most of the more wimpy units might even be able to share a circuit.

Rich B

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's. I guess I already knew the answer was dependant on the cabinets and the hood. I was thinking maybe there was a std. rough in height and a tail was just left hanging out of the wall. I have seen some were plugged into a box that was mounted in the cabinet above and some were directly hard wired into the hood.

I was an electrician in the mid to late '60s right out of high school.....and wired a lot of apartment buildings. Thats what I recall we did back then. Very basic setup with no ducting.

I am just installing a budget hood and it will not even be direct vented as I have no way to duct it to an outside wall. Even a ductless hood has to be better than none at all..............

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
THree things you want the hood to contain: smells, smoke, and grease. A ductless can handle only a couple of those, so you could just end up smelling that fish you are cooking throughout the whole house. The things do some good by causing the smoke and grease particles to hit the screen, which traps some of it. You still have to contend with the bits it doesn't trap, and the smells. My whole kitchen/dining room stays cleaner now that I have one that actually vents to the outside...if there's a way, try to consider it. Depending on the ceiling height and the way the joists run, there may be a way to get a duct to the outside easier than you think; especially when you are remodeling.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks