Vanity Sink drain installation

Users who are viewing this thread

barronmi

Reaction score
I am wrapping up a small bathroom remodel project and am at the point where I can install the vanity and sink plumbing. The vanity was a custom build and is a small single sink type consisting of a single drawer on the bottom and cabinet doors above (laid out like french doors). Unfortunately the bottom drawer was constructed too high (my measurement error) such that the existing plumbing trap can not fully drop to its correct position. In other words, the low point of the trap hits the top of the drawer before I can full rotate it to the correct position. I think I need another inch of clearance, but I am definitely stuck with the vanity dimensions.

Is there anything I can do here? Can I purchase a more shallow trap? Thanks for your help.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Moving the pipe in the wall would entail opening the wall either in the bathroom or, an adjoining room if easier. Then if the pipe goes vertical cutting it and putting the drain tee at a different height. If the drain goes horizontal then it has to be opened across to where it goes vertical and gets lowered there.

You can look into the drain under the sink and see which way it goes...

Another possibility is to trim the back of the drawer to add clearance.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Cut an "oval" slot in the cabinet floor and let the trap hang into it. You may have to cut a small clearance slot in the back of the drawer, but not usually, since the rear of the drawer seldom comes up that close to the floor of the cabinet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks