Condensate Drain and no floor drain nearby

Users who are viewing this thread

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
What happens when you're installing A/C and there is no floor drain near the furnace? My furnace is about 30 feet from a condensate drain. It's installed behind the chimney (center of house) and the drain is in the corner of the house. Any creative options out there? Concrete saw and busting up some concrete? Pump? Ideas?

Thx
Jason

Plumguy

Reaction score
I know some that have drilled a hole in the basement floor and put the drain pipe in the hole. I'm not sure how good or bad this practice is but I don't think there is enough water for long term damage or some type of washout to occur under the basement floor!

Finnegan

Reaction score
When you say the furnace is 30' from a condesate drain, do you mean a sump pump? floor drain? Condesate pumps work just fine and are not too expensive. You can just drill a small hole through your foundation and send the tube out. I would give that a shot before cutting through 30' of slab.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
It's thirty feet to the floor drain. I have no sump pump as the house is 83 years old. I don't like the drill hole in the floor idea as I'm not sure there is gravel underneith the slab.

I like the pump idea. I did some googling and it looks like that just might do the trick. Should I plumb it in with some reducers into the waste stack (with a trap)?

Plumguy

Reaction score
The only problem with tying into you're waste stack is that if the condensate is not year round then the water in the trap could dry out and you would get sewer gas into you're home. The only solution to this would be a trap primer.

Hube

Reaction score
Run a drain line from the condensate pump over into the floor drain.This floor drain should already be trapped.
At the furnace,s evaporator coil, for added safety, install a condensate line trap before actually entering into the condensate pump.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks