Vanity sink P-Trap leak - tips please

Users who are viewing this thread

GregN31

Reaction score
Hello,
I have what is probably a simple question for many. I've been struggling with a leak in my bathroom sink P-trap and I'm looking to just verify I'm not missing something.
I installed a new sink and at the same time a new drain line. I installed everything, and I just have a leak where the J bend of the P-trap connects to the wall tube.
On the wall tube, it has a flange that I assume gets pulled into the J bend as you tighten the nut. Because of that, I didn't put any washer on the tube. I just tightened the nut. I have a leak coming out of the bottom of the nut that I can't get rid of. Am I missing something?
The only thing I can think is I'm not lining up the J bend pipe and the wall tube perfectly and the threads are not quite aligned. I don't know what else it could be.
There should be no washer in the nut right? I assum the flange does the work of the washer. I do have a washer of course on the drain body of the sink under the nut that connects to the top of the P-trap and that is leak free, but there is no flange there so of course you need a washer. Is it just a matter of I must not be lining up the two parts straight? I've taken it apart and put it back together several times and I can't quite get this drip to go away. The best I've got is where it doesn't drip all the time but does it intermittently where I might get a 1/8 of a cup in a day or two, give or take. When I catch it doing it, its dribbling out the bottom of the nut between the nut and the threads of the J-Bend.
Here is a picture of what I'm using, just a standard PVC P-Trap. The wall tube on the right with the flange and the threads of the P-trap is where the leak is, below where the nut would be when the two pieces are tightened.
Is there something I'm missing?
ptrap.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
When you tighten that p-trap, start to tighten the other two slip joint nuts but leave them a bit loose.
Do the final tighten on the swivel nut first.
You are right, this one needs to be centered, and if the other nuts are tightened first, you won't be able to center it.

So...tighten the swivel nut, and then the other two.
And you should be fine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks