Water well for Sprinkler System

Users who are viewing this thread

redtie

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 16 zone sprinkler system already installed in my house. The system is connected to city water which is very expensive to operate. I'm in process of putting water well in my land for irrigation use only. I do have few questions:

What size pump do I need if my worse zone requires about 12 GPM?
What size pressure tank do I need?
Should I use CSV (Cycle Stop Valve) or pressure tank or both?
Do I need any filter installed to stop junk/sand getting into my line?
And, what size pipe should be use if the well is about 200ft deep?

Thanks

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
200' well, water level maybe 150'? A 1 HP will give you 12 GPM at 40 PSI. Any deeper or need more than 40 PSI, you will need a 1.5 HP pump.

You only need a pressure tank and pressure switch if you are going to use a hose or hydrant. For just sprinkler zones, your sprinkler controller can turn on the pump, and no pressure tank is needed.

If all your zones are 12 GPM, and you don't use a hose, then you don't need a CSV. If you have zones that are less than 12 GPM, and you don't use a hose, then you need a CSV but, not a pressure tank. If you have zones that are less than 12 GPM, and a hose, then you need a CSV and a pressure tank.

A good well should not need a filter. If it does then we see what it is that you are filtering and how much, before we size a filter.

1" pipe is minimum and 1.25" wouldn't hurt.

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
Before you get too far ahead of yourself you need to make sure your well's recovery rate is at least 12GPM, otherwise you will be pumping out the water faster than the well can produce it. If the recovery rate is less you may need to put more thought into your design.

You can get away with a lower yield well to some degree because the well casing can hold a decent amount of water as long as the static water level is fairly high. Also, the better irrigation controllers also allow you to insert a 'wait' time between zones to allow a well to recover before starting the next zone.

As for needing a filter it will depend on your well and your irrigation system. Rotors are fairly forgiving so unless your water is really bad you should have no problems with them. Sprays, on the other hand, do not like sand and will clog if you well produces much of it. I would go without the filter until you determine that you really need one.

I would also go with the 1.25" pipe.

-rick

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks