(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: what kinda wrench would help?

  1. #1
    DIY Junior Member bigfatyeastroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010

    Default what kinda wrench would help?

    hello, i'm trying to get this (pictured below) elbow piece off, because it leaks somewhere b/w it and the straight pipe it connects. but, as you can hopefully see here, there's a stud preventing my pipe wrench access to the elbow. so, i have no idea how to get it off w/o removing part of my stud. just wondering if it is possible to do w/o doing that?

    thanks everyone
    Last edited by bigfatyeastroll; 04-19-2010 at 11:39 AM.

  2. #2
    Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Land of Cheese


    I can't tell from the picture what the pipe is connected to. The nipple could be cut and removed with an inside pipe wrench but if there is not enough room to rotate the replacement, how will you put it back together?

  3. #3
    DIY Junior Member JOHN_P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Milwaukee, WI


    I think you're looking at cutting away some of the stud in order to do that.

    You'll need to no matter what to put another elbow on.

    I'd go with a sharp chisel and cut just enough away that you'll be able to remove the elbow and hopefully you'll be able to use a channel lock type pliers or vise grips to remove the old nipple as well and replace both.

  4. #4
    Moderator & Master Plumber hj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona


    What you have to do depends on where the leak is, and your description does not really pinpoint it for us. What is that brass thing above the elbow which you do not show in the picture? Before you get too far into taking it apart, you SHOULD figure out how you are going to put it back together.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts