Air in the lines

Users who are viewing this thread

ronhere24

Reaction score
Not sure if I should post this in here or the water softner forum. Every morning(between 3-5 days) after the softener system does its this thing the water tastes terrible and there is a lot of air in the lines to the faucets. After about 5 minutes the water goes back to normal and the air stops in the lines. someone have any ideas?

ronhere24

Reaction score
Problem solved

so i had air in the lines every morning and loss of water pressure throughout the house. this was getting worse by the day since the guy came to service the system. so last night the water was dribbling out of the faucets so i went down to basically rip the system apart because i was pissed off. so i start feeling and really looking at all the lines and componenets. i run my hand on the back of the setment filter and my hand was wett. So i look and listen closer to the filter bowl and i can hear air leaking. i close the 2 valves and take the bowl off and clean it and replace and tighten it up. bingo the system was back to normal. thank you mr service guy for not tightening up the filter. happy man now. only problem now is the filter was so clogged with iron it was ridiculous. now what to do about that??

ronhere24

Reaction score
still a problem

welli thought i fixed the problem. few days since i changes the filter and reseated the setiment filter bowl and the softenr system did its thing last night. air in the lines this morning and low pressure again. went down and checked the filter bowl. looks like there is water dripping at the connection to the filter bowl. looks like im going to have them come out and repleace the setiment filter. anyone got any input ?

ronhere24

Reaction score
low pressure

the pressure reads about 60psi or less. the softer system must be putting air in the lines during its flush/regeneration which also kills the pressure. i change the filter and reseat the bowl and everything is back to normal. it will be good for 3-4 days then i have the problem.

ronhere24

Reaction score
ok....so the servic e guy left after 2 hours with no clue whats wrong. heres what we did.....he realzied there was no water in the brine tank. no idea why. pressure tested the line to the well and its good to go. check the line from the well directly to see if there was air. there is not. so its got to be in the brine tank/softner regeneration that were getting air. anyone know why the brink tank would have no water in it? there was water in it last time he was here but from then to now its not refilling. he manually set the system into regeneration and now its got water in it. did he screw something up last time he was here?dial?switch?valve he missed??also my well is 600 ft with a 3/4hp pump. the amps were going from 6.1-6.8 if that means anything?

Teets

CT pump guy
Reaction score
I would check the static level in your well, and have a recovery test done. I wonder if you're running out of water as the unit is backwashing and the pump is gulping air and sending it into the well tank, and then the softener.

ronhere24

Reaction score
air in lines

they did the static test and well regen test and it was fine according to them. the water softner function when it does its thing doesnt use that much water. it does its thing every 3-5 days. the system regen is the one that uses the large capacity of water and that does its thing maybe once a month. the air promlem is directl releated to the softner/brine function.. they recommend me bypass the softner system to see if i get air with it in bypass so thats the next step/

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Check all the fittings and the lines running into the brine tank. sounds like you have a cracked fitting or line. The line from the brine tank is sucking air into the system.

ronhere24

Reaction score
air

thats what i think..when he showed up the brine tank was empty with no water in it...bigg red flag to me but he said theres a stopper at the bottom of the brine tank/plunger/float assy that will not allow air to get suked in. so he said that cant be it and then he also said if there was a leak we would see water. so he manually regeneraed and refilled the brine tank so im waiting a few days to see the results.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks