(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replace drain basket in bathtub

Default Replace drain basket in bathtub

I need to replace a drain basket in my bathtub that has a lot of corrosion. The stopper no longer maintains a tight seal therefore the tub will not hold water. The crossbars are broken off, so it looks like the standard basket wrench I've heard about will not work. I am very hesitant to cut it out because I would probably do more damage than if I left it alone. Please help. Thanks for any advice.

* I am new and posted this under the general plumbing thread also. I didn't realize there was a more accurate thread topic for my problem*

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

You can certainly get the old one out, but may have problems finding an exact replacement without having to replace the whole drain as well. It can be done, but not always easy.

You'd want to post a picture so there's a chance someone can identify it and let you know if there's a replacement. You'd likely need access to underneath as well.

To get the old one out, you'd likely need a hacksaw to cut a notch, then use a chisel and hammer to try to unscrew it. If that doesn't work, you'd take out a small section, then peal the old one out. Doing this without compromising the existing threads of the shoe may be beyond your skill level.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years johnjh2o1's Avatar

You should have no problem finding a replacement as they only come in two sizes. They even make a replacement with a bushing so it will fit either one.

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o1 View Post
    You should have no problem finding a replacement as they only come in two sizes. They even make a replacement with a bushing so it will fit either one.

John
    Actually there are about 2 common sizes...
    And a bunch more that you can find adapter bushings for...
    And some that can't be matched so you end up replacing the whole drain...

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
    Actually there are about 2 common sizes...
    And a bunch more that you can find adapter bushings for...
    And some that can't be matched so you end up replacing the whole drain...
    I am reviving this thread in advance of my attempting to replace the corroding tub basket in my 1920's-era cast-iron tub.

What is the likelihood of being able to remove the basket without destroying the shoe and, if the shoe remains intact, finding a matching basket or adapter bushing such that the whole drain would ultimately not require replacement?
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marcwd View Post
    I am reviving this thread in advance of my attempting to replace the corroding tub basket in my 1920's-era cast-iron tub.

What is the likelihood of being able to remove the basket without destroying the shoe and, if the shoe remains intact, finding a matching basket or adapter bushing such that the whole drain would ultimately not require replacement?
    Given the great amount of access you appear to have, why NOT replace the entire drain assembly?

From the looks of it I would say it hooks up to a lead trap. Not a job for a DIY call a plumber.

John

Quote Originally Posted by cacher_chick View Post
    Given the great amount of access you appear to have, why NOT replace the entire drain assembly?
    My DIY ability is limited, at best, to removing and replacing the basket. I would not attempt to replace the shoe myself.

I'm trying to determine whether to give it a shot myself or go immediately to Plan B (hire a plumber).

From the looks of it I would say it hooks up to a lead trap. Not a job for a DIY call a plumber.

John
    I don't understand the implications of a lead trap to a basket (and, possibly, a shoe) replacement. Could you kindly elaborate?

I guess the big factor then is how bad you need to use the tub.

If you take it apart successfully, you might spend days getting something to replace the basket with and it might or might not work when you are done.

If the plumber comes, he will likely cut out the whole works and re-do it.

I cannot see the trap in the picture.

If you take it apart successfully, you might spend days getting something to replace the basket with and it might or might not work when you are done.

What I'm looking at is to the right of the shoe in the picture. It looks like a wiped joint for the trap just off the branch of the cast iron Y.

John

I am able to be without the tub for a while, so I'm not too concerned about that. Just trying to get an idea whether I could likely be successful in just removing and replacing the basket on this vintage tub.

If the consensus here is that the shoe would almost assuredly need replacement as well, I won't attempt anything myself.
    Last edited by marcwd; 01-19-2011 at 06:23 PM.

What I'm looking at is to the right of the shoe in the picture. It looks like a wiped joint for the trap just off the branch of the cast iron Y.

John
    I just looked over the setup again.

The trap was replaced at some point with plastic parts. It's fitted in between the lower end of the vertical pipe (to which the shoe output pipe connects) and the branch of the cast iron Y.

The tool you want is called a drain key.

The risks are that the threads in a tub shoe might be one of many, and you might damage the threads removing the basket. If you try to force the basket free, the shoe may twist and could damage the connection to the pipe.

Looking at the condition of what you have, you might want to consider just getting a new tub stopper and living with it until you are prepared to bite the bullet on a remodel.

The tool you want is called a drain key.

The risks are that the threads in a tub shoe might be one of many, and you might damage the threads removing the basket. If you try to force the basket free, the shoe may twist and could damage the connection to the pipe.

Looking at the condition of what you have, you might want to consider just getting a new tub stopper and living with it until you are prepared to bite the bullet on a remodel.
    You make a good argument against my proceeding with this project for now.

Nothing is leaking at the moment; The only thing driving this is the appearance of the basket. (I just had the tub refinished and I originally thought that I could find some sort of chrome flange to cover the basket.)

For the future, it's good to know about the drain key. But for now I think I will put this on hold.

Many thanks!