Is my solder joint OK?

Users who are viewing this thread

Hi Flyin

Reaction score
I'm a new homeowner, but I have helped others with projects in the past.

Recently, I woke up to find some small water spots on the ceiling of my first floor. I cut into the ceiling to find that the toilet on the second floor was leaking. Well, I removed the toilet and found that the closet flange was below the level of the tile floor. I got an extender kit, and that stopped the leak.

Unfortunately, when I re-mounted the toilet, the supply line broke when I connected it. My supply line was a one-piece unit...valve is (was) permanently connected to the corrugated supply hose (I don't know WHY anyone would ever do an installation like that, but I'm not the one who built the house, so...). So, I needed to remove and replace the old valve. It took me several attempts to get the old valve un-soldered. I cleaned up the new valve and the wall pipe stub real well. Fluxed them, and proceeded to solder them. However, when I looked at the joint with a mirror (it's up against the wall), there is a small space on the joint where I cannot see any solder...usually I like to have a nice visible ring around the entire joint.

In any event, I was so frustrated with the multiple atempts at this that I figured I would take a chance and see if it leaked. I turned on the water main, and thankfully, no leaks.

My question follows:
I know that about a half inch of the joint is hidden by the coupling. If there are no leaks, is there a good chance that there is a good full solder seal on the inside of the joint? I realize this is not what a "professional" would do, he/she would leave the "ring" but I am just a lowly homeowner, and a frustrated one at that. but at the same time, I don't want to come home to a suprise anytime soon.

Last edited:

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
solder

I don't believe that you should tackle this.

It might be cheaper if you just hired someone.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Drain it and put on a little flux in the problem spot and heat and touch up the solder. If it refuses to solder, you may have some debris in the joint.

Jason

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks