Hot Water Heater High Limit Switch Continualy Trips

Users who are viewing this thread

Rshackleford

Reaction score
Website
www.agriindustries.com
i just moved into my new house. the previous owner said he had problems with the hot water heater. he said he had to go down and push a little red button ever once in a while. it is an electric heater. i have had to push the button three times already today. i think it is the high limit switch.

what is this a symptom of?

Rshackleford

Reaction score
Website
www.agriindustries.com
Update

just took a huge bath and i am sure i emptied the tank. the red button was tripped again and no new water was being heated.

wh-reset-button.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The red button is indeed a high temp limit. There could be a few different reasons for it to happen, If you are handy with a meter it is not too difficult to isolate the problem.

Have a good read here.

I wrote that after answering the question too many times on forums.

Rshackleford

Reaction score
Website
www.agriindustries.com
i did not realize there were two thermostats. the top one was set at "B" and the bottom was set to "Very Hot." i am assuming there was some sort of gradient setup and the bottom burner would heat the water and the hot water would rise and I guess that this would keep happening until top water reached a temp that tripped the high limit. the heater has not tripped out now since i discovered this.

both elements are 3500 kw and they ohm at about 12 ohms. i have 240 volts on the top element and not the bottom when the top thermostat is heating and 240 volts on the bottom and not the top when the bottom thermostat is heating.

i will be back if it trips again.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks