Trench for Sewer Line

Users who are viewing this thread

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
I'm have the sewer line being replaced on Tuesday. The line is about 9 ft-10ft down. I've rented a sod cutter in an attempt at not losing large parts of the front lawn. I think the guy said the trench has to be about 4ft wide since he has to use a trench box bc of the depth.

My question is how much SOD would you guys say I should cut on either side? I'm guessing there will be lots of dirt that needs to be piled somewhere.

I have about 65-70' of length. So far I have removed about 8ft of width. Is 4ft enough room to pile all the dirt? Is it safe to assume he can limit his pile to one side of the trench?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You had better ask your contractor.
Depending on the soil conditions there may be limitations on how much he can pile close to the trench.
The weight of the soil can contribute to trench collapse.
I do not know the soil conditions where you live.

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
Soil here is pretty regular...not clay, not sand. After about a foot or two its rocky with small fieldstones...

I figured the trench box is to prevent collapse of the trench, but that probably is limited in length and gets moved where the guy is working huh?

I can't get a hold of him till monday and project save the lawn is going down this weekend! If he can't pile close to the trench then what? Split on either side? What is typically done?

I had a 4ft trench dug in the back yard not to long and I remember how much dirt came out of that one. The trench was more V shaped, I'm guessing this one will be more box or squared shape since they prob need working room near the bottom and also space for the trench box.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A large tarp or heavy plastic will help removing the dirt pile with some reduction in turf damage if it isn't down for a long period of time.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
When I do sewer repairs and trenches, I always lay down 8x4 plywood sheets to put the spoils on. It has always made clean up of the spoils much easer, and protected the surrounding grass.

sajesak

Reaction score
Soil here is pretty regular...not clay, not sand. After about a foot or two its rocky with small fieldstones...

I figured the trench box is to prevent collapse of the trench, but that probably is limited in length and gets moved where the guy is working huh?

I can't get a hold of him till monday and project save the lawn is going down this weekend! If he can't pile close to the trench then what? Split on either side? What is typically done?

I had a 4ft trench dug in the back yard not to long and I remember how much dirt came out of that one Steel Piling Services UAE. The trench was more V shaped, I'm guessing this one will be more box or squared shape since they prob need working room near the bottom and also space for the trench box.
I've dug up a section of sewer line that has root intrusion to have access for relining and I want to know the recommended material to fill around the pipe to reduce the chance of future root intrusion. The pipe is 4" clay and I notice the joints where two are connected has a cement material and this is the vulnerable joint where roots enter the pipe. Is it a bad idea pouring salt around the joints? Any tricks of the trade before I refill the trench?

Reach4

Reaction score
Glued PVC or ABS will prevent root intrusion. If you interface to something else, such as clay pipe that heads under the road, then at that interface you could consider adding a chemical that will poison roots.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
That is a lot of sod cutting and heavy work. If your grass is grown from seed, just reseed it. If it is grown on a sod farm and transplanted, get a lot of friends to help out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks