Drainage Line Advice Needed

Users who are viewing this thread

gregfaysash

Reaction score
My Florida house is 50 years old. Recently, a portion of pipe leading from my kithchen to the main drainage line broke under the concrete foundation. I have been told that my options are to replace the just broken portion, replace the broken portion and main line, or reroute a new line to the septic tank. Obviously replacing just the broken portion will be the cheapest, but leaves me with an ancient main line which could bust any day. All 3 options require tearing up floor and concrete, some more than others. I am looking at about 40 - 80 feet being done for the replacement or reroute. What is the best option? What should, if any, my insurance cover? Is it possible to tunnel under the concrete instead to replace the pipe without compromising the foundation?

Plumguy

Reaction score
You could do a google search for trenchless sewer pipe replacement. They actually pull a new line thru you're old one. I have no personal feedback but it certainly is worth looking at as an option. I know that a national and well known drain cleaning co. offers this service.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think you know that patching the old line isn't a very good idea. It might be 50 years before you had another problem, but it could be 50 hours. Best way in my opinion is to replace with a new line. There are companies that can cut a trench in the concrete. I'd do this rather than breaking the concrete because the patch would look much neater. It would be cleaner and probably quicker also. I'd be concerned about pulling a new line through the old because it would be quite expensive and obviously the new line would have to be considerable smaller than the old. Since this service is not available everywhere, it may not even be an option for you anyway. You want to do a job like this right the first time, so have it done professionally.

Plumguy

Reaction score
I'm sure pulling a new line is expensive, but the line is not "considerably smaller" they actually break the existing line as it is pulled. It does not fit into the existing..like one might think...it replaces it. I'm sure this service is offered by now..throughout the country. Whether or not it has been approved (state by state)is another thing..but certainly it is an interesting method for certain applications.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks