Anti-scald valve required for tub hand shower?

Users who are viewing this thread

MinnesotaNice

Reaction score
I found a document online http://www.leg.mn/archive/sonar/SONAR090003.pdf (very near the end) that says Minnesota considers a tub-only hand shower none the less to be a shower thus requiring a pressure-balanced anti-scald valve feeding it.

This is not a combined shower/tub situation. I don't have a shower valve in this tub to connect to. It's a separate tub with a hand shower connected to a tub filler with diverter. (i.e. http://www.********.com/f/delta-faucet-t4775-1.shtml but all the manufacturers have them...) The walls are all open so access is fine.

How do you comply with this and is this for real???

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Your links won't work, but if I understand what you are trying to do your valve for the tub should be anti-scald so anything you hook up thats controled by that valve will be anti-scald also.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The new codes require antiscald valves, but even under the older codes, as soon as you install a hand held unit it DOES BECOME a tub shower system, AND additionally, a hand held also requires an antibackflow device on the hose unit.

MinnesotaNice

Reaction score

Yes, that one of them.

All tubs and showers have to have anti scald valves regardless of the hand shower.

www.watts.com/dangerscaldinglurks

So it would seem that the above valve is not code. And all I can think of is a shower valve on the wall with a roman tub filler spout/diverter and hook it up to the hand shower. That would be stupid looking!

I'm just going to forget about the hand shower...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks