Water pressure high then tapers off to less than normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

cjs45lj

Reaction score
My local utility replaced my water meter at the curb a couple of weeks ago and now my water pressure comes on higher than normal for about two or three seconds then drops down to a little less than normal operating pressure. I am thinking something must have happened to the regulator. I need to know where I should start to fix this problem. I can fix anything if I have the right instructions and I can sweat a joint if necessary. Any suggestions?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Check your expansion tank...sounds like it is waterlogged and needs to either be pumped up or replaced.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They changed the water meter out for one with a check valve.
Now, you are building pressure in the home, and the first time you use a faucet, the extra pressure returns to normal.

You will need to add an expansion tank to your home.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If you have a pressure regulator, that WAS a check valve so installing a meter with one would not have changed anything. WHEN the pressure increases is the clue to the problem. If it happens ALL the time then the PRV is leaking high pressure into the system, but reverts to the regular reduced pressure as soon as you open a faucet, but then the cycle repeats as soon as you close the faucet. If it only happens after using hot water, then it is expansion and you either need an expansion tank, or yours is faulty.

cjs45lj

Reaction score
Thanks to all of you who responded. You have confirmed what I was assuming is the problem. My system never had an expansion tank and I have confirmed it does happen after the use of hot water so I will be installing an expansion tank this weekend. This coinsided with the instalation of a modern water meter by the town at the street and the first signs of trouble were a shower faucet gasket suddenly leaking and the kitchen faucet suddenly leaking, both on the hot side. examining the seal from the kitchen faucet revealed a small tear or spot where the water blew out the seal. Thanks again! Cliff

cjs45lj

Reaction score
Just shopped Lowes web site for an expansion tank. How do you determine what size tank you need?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks