4 gpm well, 12ppm rust, can this water be cured without uping the gpm?

Users who are viewing this thread

bluinc

Reaction score
Hi all,

With the bladder tank emptied at showing 0 psi, and thus taking a sample from the 3/4" valve at the bladder tank "T" directly from the well with the pump on, I can fill a 4 gallon bucket in a minute. I can do this consistently for what seems like unlimited buckets (I did 12, 5 gallon buckets yesterday, and measured no drop in yield. In addition to this low amount of water volume output, the well also belches out 12ppm iron. The only conditioning equipment I have installed so far is a 9000 twin 24 or 32k grain softener (I cant recall now which it is) set to recharge every 600 gallons. Despite this system and its settings, my water still has bouts of smelling like metal/rust and we get rust stains that come and go in our toilets, etc. A rep from "the biggest water company in Annapolis" recently came by and said it was NOT POSSIBLE to fix my water problem without first increasing the yield of my well to at least 8 or 10 gpm. Previously, I had a well guy come out and he said my well was dug to produce 16gpm, that all the other wells in my area have high rust like mine (and sulphur), that there was plenty of water in our area being so close to the Chesapeake, that my pump seemed to be working fine (dont know the HP), but that my "screens" just needed to be blown out with lp air, which he said he would do for $500 or $600, and he said this "reconditioning" may improve my yield and clean up some of my rust problem - but he, and a few other well and plumber types also said the procedure could blow holes in my screens, ruin the well and require me to dig a new one at about $10,000 to $15,000.

My question: Is there a way to get clean, rust free water without taking the risk of ruining my well with this "reconditioning" procedure. The water guy said I could at least get some relief by setting my conditioner to backflush every 300 gallons vice 600 but that it was just a bandaid.

We are a family of 2.5. with three bathrooms (1 shower, 2 tubs)

What say ye all? :confused:

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If there is a check valve on the pump, you CANNOT blow air into it to clean the pump's screens. If you are not running out of water, then the pump is the problem for the low flow, not the well. It is very possible that the iron has fouled the filter screens, but the only way to clean them properly is to pull the pump and scour, or replace, them. Even if you could back flush the pump all it would do is remove the "softest" buildup, NOT all of it. "Blowing" holes in the screens would do NOTHING to damage the well. However, I cannot see how increasing the flow could change the character of the water or reduce the ppm of the iron. It should bring the same amount of iron, but do it faster.

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
To make matters worse, if there is enough iron in the water to foul the pump inlets then no matter what you do, you will be pulling the pump on a regular basis to clear it off. I assume that your filtration guy wants more than 4 gpm because he wants to use air injection to clear the iron at the house?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Hi all,

With the bladder tank emptied at showing 0 psi, and thus taking a sample from the 3/4" valve at the bladder tank "T" directly from the well with the pump on, I can fill a 4 gallon bucket in a minute. I can do this consistently for what seems like unlimited buckets (I did 12, 5 gallon buckets yesterday, and measured no drop in yield. In addition to this low amount of water volume output, the well also belches out 12ppm iron.

The only conditioning equipment I have installed so far is a 9000 twin 24 or 32k grain softener (I cant recall now which it is) set to recharge every 600 gallons. Despite this system and its settings, my water still has bouts of smelling like metal/rust and we get rust stains that come and go in our toilets, etc. A rep from "the biggest water company in Annapolis" recently came by and said it was NOT POSSIBLE to fix my water problem without first increasing the yield of my well to at least 8 or 10 gpm. Previously, I had a well guy come out and he said my well was dug to produce 16gpm, that all the other wells in my area have high rust like mine (and sulphur), that there was plenty of water in our area being so close to the Chesapeake, that my pump seemed to be working fine (dont know the HP), but that my "screens" just needed to be blown out with lp air, which he said he would do for $500 or $600, and he said this "reconditioning" may improve my yield and clean up some of my rust problem - but he, and a few other well and plumber types also said the procedure could blow holes in my screens, ruin the well and require me to dig a new one at about $10,000 to $15,000.

My question: Is there a way to get clean, rust free water without taking the risk of ruining my well with this "reconditioning" procedure. The water guy said I could at least get some relief by setting my conditioner to backflush every 300 gallons vice 600 but that it was just a bandaid.

We are a family of 2.5. with three bathrooms (1 shower, 2 tubs)

What say ye all? :confused:
I think you have a pump problem or a water leak but you don't mention an air in the water problem but a water leak doesn't always add air.

You may have IRB blocking the pump inlet screen holes. Do you have any clear to black snotty slime in the toilet tanks at and/or below the water line?

I suggest you troubleshoot the pump motor electrically.
http://www.franklin-electric.com/business/WaterSystems/service/AIM/page-13.aspx

Either size softener is way too small for your iron alone and you didn't mention any hardness but, with any hardness or manganese it's even smaller. And a softener doesn't remove any H2S (sulfur).

You can find a label on one of the resin tanks of the softener and the model number is the size; ex. 0948 is a 9" x 48" 1 cuft.

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
For $500-$600 I would think you could find someone to pull the pump, clean it and reset it for you.

For $500 I had my pump pulled and a camera sent down to see at what depth the majority of water was entering my well.

Also I have 12+ppm iron and it can be a PITA. To get rid of it you need air or chlorine injection followed by a 100 gal retention tank (the tank is a must) and some sort of media filter (centaur carbon works and I've had good luck with filox although it needs 9gpm to backwash a 1cu ft tank).

-rick

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks