add washer hookup

Users who are viewing this thread

thaas53

Reaction score
Hello,

I need to move our washing machine to a room that shares a wall with a bathroom. Since the bathroom is on the other side, I have access to water and drain. After reading through a bunch of threads and looking at Terry's standard washer install photo, I've come up with a piping diagram. I'd like to know if this looks correct. I'm in Connecticut. The image is not to scale.

washer1.png

Thanks for any help.
thaas

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Your use of fittings is not correct in the view of most.

The transition from horizontal drain to vertical drain should be sani-tees, not wyes. When stacked as you have them, they should be close coupled.

A picky inspector might insist on a Wye & 1/4 bend "combo" for the vent in the drain line. Similarly, a vent tee is preferred in the dry vent piping.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
In your situation, you DO NOT have to use a sanitary tee for the connection to the vertical drain. A combo would be preferred for the washer vent connection, and as a "piece of mind" measure, you might want to install a cleanout in the vertical vent. The shower vent should already be installed so the kind of fitting to use and its orientation should already be in place. The washer vent connection to it can be with any fitting you want to use.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I don't doubt hj, but I would like to better understand what makes a wye more or less appropriate than a sani-tee when connecting the horizontal to the vertical drain.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
UPC code has always required the santee when going from a horizontal trap arm to a vertical stack.
The original picture the homeowner is going from, had a santee in that location, not a wye fitting.

The wye fitting in that location creates an S trap which can be more likely to siphon a trap.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Running a trap arm into a wye on the vertical, the vent takeoff point may be below the weir of the adjacent trap, thus causing siphon.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A sanitary tee is ONLY required when the vertical pipe is also the vent for the trap. Here, they have an "independent" vent on the arm, so it makes no difference whether the connection is a sanitary tee, a combo, or a "Y" with an 1/8 bend. Now, if they piped it differently so that the trap was going into the vertical "independent" vent, then THAT connection would have to be a sanitary tee, but that does not apply to the way they have drawn it.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Concur, I was thinking only of the lav waste arm.
The fittings on the washer drain as drawn are fine. It's vented off the horizontal correctly.

thaas53

Reaction score
ok, great so the lavatory sink to vertical drain stack needs to be a sanitee?

Thanks for taking the time everyone.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks