Bathtub Stinks

Users who are viewing this thread

Duckie

Reaction score
To be honest from the start, I know pretty much nothing about plumbing, so please don't use any jargon that I won't understand! I am at the end of my rope, and my husband is driving me crazy! We have a septic system, and we're having a problem with our bathtub drain. It stinks terribly, all the time, no matter what. We have owned this house for only 2 months. The drain was very slow, so I went in the basement and found that right under the tub the pvc was in a loop. We bought an elbow, made it straight, thought that would be the end of it. Then this foul smell started. My hubby thinks the pipe comes down from the tub and goes straight to the septic... This pipe also runs to the bathroom and kitchen sinks, neither of which smell. Sorry this was so long, but does anybody have advice for me? I would appreciate it immensely.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
bath tub

Was that a trap that you removed ?
The loop may have been put there to hold water and that water is a seal so the drain won't stink..........
Take it apart and run a snake through it, then put it back togather and run water to flush it............

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It sounds like you removed the trap. A trap is sort of shaped like a p (well more like a c). That loop holds water that acts like a seal that prevents a clear line to the septic tank. Replacing it with just a 90 degree fitting IS the reason you have sewer gas coming into the house. This is both unhealthy and unpleasant. Replace it as soon as you can. Put tape over the overflow and drain until you do. It might drain well when you use it, but that could have been because the trap was clogged. My unprofessional opinion.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

You removed the trap and caused the problem. You will have the problem until it is repaired properly. Call a plumber because you do not know what a trap is and therefore may not install the new one properly.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
We love to provide support for Do-it-yourselfers on these forums. Most of us do DIY work at home on projects outside our own trade. What a country!

But, cases like this make us understand why some states like Mass. have laws prohibiting homeowners from doing ANY plumbing work. Anachronistic in some respects, but you have charged in to something you did not understand, and you have exposed your family to toxic gases. Please get a plumber to fix this immediately.

Kristi

Tradesman Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.prettyplumbing.com
I'm surprised that you were bold enough to remove critical parts of your drainage system if you don't know it's purpose... makes me wonder what other modifications you may be doing in the house!!! As everyone else stated: hire a plumber asap...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks