Rear Outlet Toilets Kohler Barrington or Caroma Sydney Smart Back Outlet Round Front

Users who are viewing this thread

Paulyjsob

Reaction score
I'm going to be installing a rear outlet toilet in my basement shortly. It'll discharge horizontally after a 90 degree bend into the sewer outlet in the foundation wall. The distance from the 90 degree bend to the wall is about 20" and the pipe has the proper slope. The pipe is 4" PVC by the outlet and goes to a 3" PVC "T" at the toilet flange.
I bought a Kohler Barrington a 2 weeks ago but I'm now contemplating returning it and buying a Caroma Sydney rear outlet. The main reason is that its a little shorter and the more important reason is that I haven't read much on the quality of the Kohler whereas the Caroma seems to get to reviews here.
What do you all think?

Thanks!
Paul

Kohler Barrington below with Flushmate.

Attachments

• barrington..jpg
    barrington..jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 11,248
Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't think there is any difference in quality between Caroma and Kohler.
They have about the same amount of problems for me.

The Barrington is a floor mount rear outlet bowl.
Flushmate pressure assist

The Caroma has a wall mounted bowl with an in-wall tank.

They will install and look very different.

Alan Muller

Reaction score
This Caroma is a European-style rear-outlet toilet. The outlet is 7 1/4 inches (centerline) above floor and connects with a rubber compression-coupling thingy. Quite different from a US style rear-outlet bowl.

Seems potentially very useful for a situation where a stack is accessible but installing a floor flange would be a big project.

Paulyjsob

Reaction score
Well. I bought the Caroma and will be returning the Kohler. The Caroma won because its smaller and cheaper. I'll be sure to report back when intalled.
Thanks!

haricot

Reaction score
Could you post where you bought the Caroma and what you paid for it? I'm also curious to know about the material that angled fitting is made out of. Is it plastic? Do you see it once the toilet is installed?

RFDACM02

Reaction score
Well. I bought the Caroma and will be returning the Kohler. The Caroma won because its smaller and cheaper. I'll be sure to report back when intalled.
Thanks!
How did the Caroma work out? I'm looking at rear discharge toilets right now and the Caroma is on my list. Also, did you use the adapter that connects the toilet to the wall flange? In my application I'd prefer to keep the toilet as low as possible and not put my flange at teh 4" mark, but instead closer to the discharge height minus some slope?

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'd prefer to keep the toilet as low as possible and not put my flange at teh 4" mark, but instead closer to the discharge height minus some slope?

Then you better have the bowl on site first, and do the checking before you rough that in.
If you change the height, you will have to swivel the adapter at an angle, putting the bowl off center in that location.

RFDACM02

Reaction score
Then you better have the bowl on site first, and do the checking before you rough that in.
If you change the height, you will have to swivel the adapter at an angle, putting the bowl off center in that location.
Great point. I ended up ordering a Saniflo 003 and extensiuon tube, after speaking with a tech at Saniflo who assured me the toilet would work without the macerator as long as the gravity pitch was correct. The Saniflo extension tube is straight vs. the offset of the Caroma.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks